The Indians are getting the band back together tonight

Sep 23, 2011, 11:36 AM EDT

Jim Thome

I mentioned earlier that I’m going up to the Cleveland-Minnesota game tonight.  Some people asked me why on Earth I would do that. Well (a) it’s baseball and baseball is wonderful; and (b) there’s some to-do afoot tonight regarding Jim Thome.

Specifically, the Indians will honor Thome with a special ceremony, complete with a presentation (I’m guessing it’s a sack of ‘taters) and a video tribute. Former Tribe manager Mike Hargrove will be there. So will Thome’s old salad days teammates Sandy Alomar, Jr., Carlos Baerga, Paul Sorrento and Chad Ogea (one of these things, is not like the others … one of these things just doesn’t belong …).  Word on the street is that Albert Belle will be there if they can find that Hannibal Lecter straight jacket/face mask/hand truck setup before game time.  If Manny Acta had any sense of the occasion he’d put Thome in at third base.

In addition, all fans will receive a Jim Thome 600 HR commemorative poster.  Which is actually damn cool. There will also be a fireworks show “synchronized to Alternative Rock … which will also pay tribute to Jim Thome and his 600 HR milestone.”  Which may be damn cool or may be the most ridiculous thing ever. Either way, I’m looking forward to it.

I’ll be in the Tribe Social Suite with the other blogger and social media-types, but if anyone else plans to be at the game, drop a line in the comments or on Twitter or to my email or something and we can try to meet up at some point during or after the game. Because really, no one should watch a Jim Thome-themed Alternative Rock fireworks show by themselves.

1. dailyrev - Sep 23, 2011 at 11:49 AM

you might get the biggest surprise possible in that you’ll actually see a Good Baseball Game (Pavano-Masterson).

2. yankeesfanlen - Sep 23, 2011 at 11:52 AM

BTW, there’s an extravaganza scheduled tonight at Yankee Stadium in honor of Roger Maris’ 61st* HR 50th anniversary. Supposed to include Maris and Mantle families, Yogi, Whitey, ghost of The Major, etc.

3. The Common Man - Sep 23, 2011 at 12:21 PM

I don’t know if the Indians did this purposely to coincide with the Twins coming to town, but it’s a nice gesture. Thome has a lot of friends in the other clubhouse tonight too.

• takemytalentstosoutheuclid - Sep 23, 2011 at 4:35 PM

They did. They announced it just a few days after the trade, and specifically mentioned waiting for this series.

4. Lukehart80 - Sep 23, 2011 at 12:34 PM

I would really like to be there tonight, and to convince Craig to but me a beer with the big NBC dollars we know he’s pocketing (now that they no longer have to pay the brilliant cast and writers of “Outsourced”). Sadly, I don’t live in Ohio.

Craig, steal an extra poster for me.

5. Detroit Michael - Sep 23, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Chad Ogea averaged just a bit under a Win Above Replacement during his Indians career. Sandy Alomar Jr. averaged just a bit over a Win Above Replacement during his Indians career. Paul Sorrento averaged just a bit over a Win Above Replacement during his Indians career.

Baerga is the one who doesn’t belong, averaging over 2 WAR per year during his Indians career.

I realize that the comment may have been a slam against Ogea, but I don’t think that’s accurate.

• Detroit Michael - Sep 23, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Oh, using baseball-reference.com’s version of WAR, if it matters to anyone.

6. dasher521 - Sep 23, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Craig –

“(a) it’s baseball and baseball is wonderful; and” – ABSOLUTELY!

“(b) there’s some to-do afoot tonight regarding Jim Thome.” – ICING ON THE CAKE

This is from a Phillies fan. Often times I have a severe case of fateagles. There are two sports seasons, baseball season and the off season.

7. Tribe&Browns&Cavs - Sep 23, 2011 at 1:53 PM

If I didn’t have to run an office at 6 am here in C-bus I’d be on my way to Thome-fest. Should be a fun night in Cleveland.

8. montecolorman - Sep 23, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Indians fans still appreciate Chad Ogea for his performance in the 1997 World Series vs. the Marlins. He was 2-0 with a 1.54 ERA in his two starts. He also went 2 for 4 with a run, double, and 2 RBIs. If Mesa hadn’t blown the save in Game 7, Chad Ogea would have been the World Series MVP.

I’ll be there tonight, Craig…I’ll tweet at you from the game.

@monte_colorman

9. takemytalentstosoutheuclid - Sep 23, 2011 at 4:34 PM

What, no Manny, K-Lof, or El Presidente?

10. ispysomething7 - Sep 23, 2011 at 8:49 PM

No Eric Plunk?

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline