Sep 23, 2011, 6:56 PM EST
Peter Gammons begs to differ, based on some comments he made Thursday, but Red Sox GM Theo Epstein said Friday that all is well between him and manager Terry Francona.
“There is no disconnect between me and Tito,” Epstein was quoted as saying by the Boston Herald. “I think anyone who’s been around the club on a daily basis can see that. We talk several times a day. We spend a ton of time together. I was in (Francona’s office) today, laughing, joking, like I was yesterday, like I was the day before with him. Obviously, less laughing and joking this month than previously because of the way things are going. We’re on the same page. For eight years, I’ve respected and admired him. I believe the feeling’s mutual.”
Francona’s contract isn’t guaranteed beyond 2011 — there are options worth $4.25 million for 2012 and $4.5 million for 2013 — so there will be some speculation about his job status if the Red Sox complete their collapse and miss the playoffs.
Francona, for what it’s worth, seems to only have this year on his mind. Asked about 2012, he said:
I don’t feel any different than I ever have. The organization not only has the right, but it’s their obligation to get the right person, the person they think is the best. If at some point they think it needs to be somebody else — other than that, I think it’s disrespectful for me to spend one waking moment think about my situation. We need to win games, so that’s how I intend to do it.
No matter what happens in the next week, it’s hard to imagine the Red Sox bailing on the guy who won World Series in 2004 and ’07.
- MLB Players React to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 4
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)