Theo Epstein says he and Terry Francona are on the same page

Sep 23, 2011, 6:56 PM EDT

Theo Epstein, Terry Francona Reuters

Peter Gammons begs to differ, based on some comments he made Thursday, but Red Sox GM Theo Epstein said Friday that all is well between him and manager Terry Francona.

“There is no disconnect between me and Tito,” Epstein was quoted as saying by the Boston Herald. “I think anyone who’s been around the club on a daily basis can see that. We talk several times a day. We spend a ton of time together. I was in (Francona’s office) today, laughing, joking, like I was yesterday, like I was the day before with him. Obviously, less laughing and joking this month than previously because of the way things are going. We’re on the same page. For eight years, I’ve respected and admired him. I believe the feeling’s mutual.”

Francona’s contract isn’t guaranteed beyond 2011 — there are options worth $4.25 million for 2012 and $4.5 million for 2013 — so there will be some speculation about his job status if the Red Sox complete their collapse and miss the playoffs.

Francona, for what it’s worth, seems to only have this year on his mind.  Asked about 2012, he said:

I don’t feel any different than I ever have. The organization not only has the right, but it’s their obligation to get the right person, the person they think is the best. If at some point they think it needs to be somebody else — other than that, I think it’s disrespectful for me to spend one waking moment think about my situation. We need to win games, so that’s how I intend to do it.

No matter what happens in the next week, it’s hard to imagine the Red Sox bailing on the guy who won World Series in 2004 and ’07.

Latest Posts
  1. Jon Jay ready to return, will add to Cardinals’ outfield logjam

May 28, 2015, 12:16 PM EDT

jon jay getty Getty Images

Jay has been out since May 10 with a wrist injury.

2. The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher

May 28, 2015, 11:53 AM EDT

Rush

I don’t do requests and even if I did, I would’t do Rush requests. But you all have broken me down.

3. Grant Balfour is leaning toward retirement

May 28, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT

Grant Balfour Getty Images

He just opted out of his deal with Tampa Bay.

4. Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta.

May 28, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT

New York Yankees designated hitter Alex Rodriguez pumps his fist as he runs the bases after breaking Willie Mays' record on the all-time home run list after hitting his 661st home run in the third inning of a baseball game against the Baltimore Orioles at Yankee Stadium in New York, Thursday, May 7, 2015.  (AP Photo/Kathy Willens) AP

Where is the asterisk-applying crowd when you need ’em?

5. The Brewers Double-A team’s 55-game road trip is actually going quite well

May 28, 2015, 9:19 AM EDT

Old Bus

In other news, Taco Bell restaurants in Southern League towns are experiencing record sales.

6. Johnny Cueto expected to return to Reds’ rotation Sunday

May 27, 2015, 11:27 PM EDT

cueto getty Getty Images

Reds ace Johnny Cueto was scratched from a start last week after experiencing stiffness in his right elbow, but an MRI taken Tuesday afternoon came up clean …

7. Video: Bryce Harper slugs his 18th home run

May 27, 2015, 10:14 PM EDT

bryce harper getty Getty Images

Harper has slugged 13 home runs over his last 19 games.

8. Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad

May 27, 2015, 9:01 PM EDT

matt adams getty Getty Images

Cardinals first baseman Matt Adams tore his right quadriceps muscle Tuesday while legging out a double.

9. Dodgers designate Sergio Santos for assignment

May 27, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT

sergio santos getty Getty Images

Santos had registered an underwhelming 4.73 ERA, 1.50 WHIP, and 15/7 K/BB ratio in 13 1/3 innings of relief this season for the Dodgers.

10. Video: Jimmy Paredes stole home

May 27, 2015, 7:18 PM EDT

jimmy paredes getty Getty Images

Just call him Jimmy “The Jet” Paredes.

11. Red Sox acquire outfielder Carlos Peguero from Rangers

May 27, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT

peguero getty Getty Images

Peguero was designated for assignment by the Rangers on May 20 after batting .186/.310/.414 with four home runs and nine RBI in 84 plate appearances.

12. Cardinals first baseman Matt Adams out indefinitely with torn quadriceps, may need surgery

May 27, 2015, 5:19 PM EDT

matt adams cardinals getty Getty Images

Adams was off to a slow start this season, but he’s hit .277 with a .770 OPS in 320 games for the Cardinals since debuting in 2012.

13. Al Kaline’s last game

May 27, 2015, 5:09 PM EDT

Portrait of Al Kaline

Everything ends badly. Otherwise it wouldn’t end.

14. Scott Kazmir leaves the Tigers-Athletics game with an apparent injury

May 27, 2015, 4:34 PM EDT

Scott Kazmir AP

A bad season for the A’s is starting to look worse.

1. J. Hamilton (3386)