Sep 24, 2011, 5:06 PM EDT
The Cardinals really need to take Carlos Marmol out for a steak dinner.
After being held scoreless over the first eight innings this afternoon, the Cardinals were handed two runs in the bottom of the ninth as part of a dramatic 2-1 win over the Cubs.
In another one of his trademark implosions, Marmol walked Ryan Theriot with the bases loaded to force in the tying run and then uncorked a wild pitch to the backstop which allowed pinch-runner Adron Chambers to score with the winning run. Marmol walked three and threw just 13 out of 30 pitches in the inning and now has a major-league worst 10 blown saves this season.
The Braves lost to the Nationals 4-1 this afternoon, so their lead over the Cardinals in the Wild Card is down to two games with four games remaining.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights