Sep 24, 2011, 5:06 PM EDT
The Cardinals really need to take Carlos Marmol out for a steak dinner.
After being held scoreless over the first eight innings this afternoon, the Cardinals were handed two runs in the bottom of the ninth as part of a dramatic 2-1 win over the Cubs.
In another one of his trademark implosions, Marmol walked Ryan Theriot with the bases loaded to force in the tying run and then uncorked a wild pitch to the backstop which allowed pinch-runner Adron Chambers to score with the winning run. Marmol walked three and threw just 13 out of 30 pitches in the inning and now has a major-league worst 10 blown saves this season.
The Braves lost to the Nationals 4-1 this afternoon, so their lead over the Cardinals in the Wild Card is down to two games with four games remaining.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 47
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 58
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)