Sep 24, 2011, 5:06 PM EDT
The Cardinals really need to take Carlos Marmol out for a steak dinner.
After being held scoreless over the first eight innings this afternoon, the Cardinals were handed two runs in the bottom of the ninth as part of a dramatic 2-1 win over the Cubs.
In another one of his trademark implosions, Marmol walked Ryan Theriot with the bases loaded to force in the tying run and then uncorked a wild pitch to the backstop which allowed pinch-runner Adron Chambers to score with the winning run. Marmol walked three and threw just 13 out of 30 pitches in the inning and now has a major-league worst 10 blown saves this season.
The Braves lost to the Nationals 4-1 this afternoon, so their lead over the Cardinals in the Wild Card is down to two games with four games remaining.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 45
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 121
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (122)