Giants haven’t ruled out eventual position change for Buster Posey

Sep 24, 2011, 3:40 PM EDT

posey catching Getty Images

Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News reports that Buster Posey will indeed be the Giants’ everyday catcher next season. But beyond that? It’s hard to say.

Giants manager Bruce Bochy acknowledged yesterday that there was some internal debate about whether Posey would be better off at a position like first base, where he could prolong his career and avoid the daily rigors of playing the most demanding position in the game. While the 24-year-old could still be moved, they aren’t ready to go there yet.

“Well, yeah. We had internal discussions,” Bochy said. “But we’re all in agreement. We need Buster behind the plate.”

“That doesn’t mean, as you look down the road, whether it’s Hector Sanchez or someone else, (a position change) is a possibility,” Bochy said. “But playing next year isn’t going to shorten his career.”

Posey continues to progress well from reconstructive surgery on his left ankle. He is currently using a pitching machine to catch from the crouch and hopes to begin catching live pitching at the in November at the Giants’ minor league complex. While he still has some hurdles to cross, the Giants are optimistic that he’ll be ready for spring training.

1. cosanostra71 - Sep 24, 2011 at 3:59 PM

I’m looking forward to seeing him back on the field, wherever that may be. Kid has game.

2. randomdigits - Sep 24, 2011 at 4:22 PM

I still don’t care for that stunt he pulled in college but he has proven he can play. Hope he makes a full recovery.

• hittfamily - Sep 24, 2011 at 5:05 PM

What stunt are you talking about?

Is it the one where he switched positions from SS to catcher after being the All-ACC SS?

Was it the stunt where he led the NCAA in damn near evrything, and won the Golden Spikes and Johhny Bench award?

Was it the stunt where he was the closer on a College World Series team?

Was it the stunt where he carried a damn near 4.0 GPA?

You are probably referring to the stunt where his coach, Mike Martin Sr, played him at every position during a game. This wasn’t the first time Sr pulled this stunt. Sr also played his son, Mike Martin Jr at every position in the mid 90’s.

A stunt would be telling your coach “Nope”, when he tells you to go to a position. Doing what you are told has never been a stunt.

• randomdigits - Sep 24, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Yea, I am quite sure Posey did it under duress.

It was a cheap move by him and his coach at the expense of a completely overmatched team.

It did get him national attention tho!

• randomdigits - Sep 24, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Couple of quotes from Buster after that game:

Posey said. “It’s something I’ll probably never do again, but I enjoyed all of this.”

“It hasn’t really sunk in yet,” he said. “But 10 years from now I’ll probably look back at this as something pretty neat.”

Doesn’t sound to me like someone reluctantly following his coach’s orders.

• hittfamily - Sep 24, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Dude. Everything I know about this guy tells me he isn’t the type to walk into his coaches office, and tell him “I want…..”

That is what you are inferring. This was something done on the spot, and without inside knowledge, I can absolutely guarantee you it wasnt Buster who made the suggestion. Like I said, he was a catcher who previously played gold glove SS at the collegiate level, and was the closer. Here is how it probably went down.

“Buster, you’re catching and batting 4th”
        “Yes Sir”

FSU then scores XX in the first inning

“Ok Buster, we are up XX-0 in a midweek game. I want to get you some work on the mound, but not yet. So and so is throwing a great game. This isn’t high school, so I can’t take you out, then bring you back in. No sense wearing you out behind the plate, so go back to SS.”
        “Yes Sir”
        “So and so is a freshman, and I need to see him at SS during this blowout, go to second”
        “Yes Sir”
        “I want to see So and so at 1b,2b,3b, want to set another record”
        “Yes Sir”

“It hasn’t really set in yet”—Tanslation: I’m the best player in the country, and I would be the number 1 overall pick had I not signed on with Scott Boras. This isn’t really a big deal.
        What a bum.

3. dbick - Sep 24, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Unless the move is to SS or 2B I don’t really like it. A lot of his value is that he puts up good offensive numbers at a position that is usually lacking in good offense. If you’d move him to the outfield the numbers he puts up would be considered good, but I dont think people would say he is a top 10 outfielder like they do say he’s a top 10 catcher. If you move him to another offensively void position the move is probably ok, but to outfield would just be making a position of strength (catcher) into a liability offensively.

• hittfamily - Sep 24, 2011 at 8:08 PM

I could not agree more dbick. Well said. I have heard “move him to first base”. Ok, then what? Now the Giants have the 10th best 1st baseman in the league, and have to spend 30 times what they pay him to replace him. The obvious thing to do is play him at catcher, til it is contract time. It makes no sense to not have him catch.

For example. I picture Buster as a .275 hitter, 20 hr, .800 ops. That guy, playing first, costs a team 7 million. That guy playing left or right, costs 8 mil. That guy, playing 2b or C costs 15 mil. He isn’t some incredibly talented hitter, the likes we have never seen. He is very good.

People curse at JD Drew, another FSU guy, but if JD Drew could catch, he goes down as one of the best hitting catchers in history. It is beneficial to Buster to catch, cause he will make more money, and it is beneficial to the Giants cause they can swap a crappy catcher for a crappy 1st baseman for the same money, but the 3 mil 1st baseman will be more productive.

1st baseman with Poseys numbers are a dime a dozen. Really!!!! A damned dime a dozen. Casey Kotchmanns OPS is over .800, and he isn’t in the top 15 first baseman. Next year he will make 3-4 million. Turning Buster Posey into Casey Kotchmann is freaking retarded. (I hate the term retarded, but stupid isn’t harsh enough, and effing stupid is worse)

4. twinkydefense - Sep 24, 2011 at 7:06 PM

@hittfamily –

Posey had the option of telling his coach in a matter of fact way that he would rather not participate in a stunt. His coach, after hearing the word “stunt” and “I would rather not participate”, would have elected an alternative strategy, even if he wanted to see “So and Sos” at every other position.

Whether his coach would have been upset, disappointed, pissed, is a separate issue. Besides, if Posey is the great player you say, what in the hell would he care if his college coach reacted like a schoolgirl being told its over by her boyfriend!

Your arguments are pathetic!

5. purnellmeagrejr - Sep 25, 2011 at 7:53 AM

“better off at a position like first base” Hate to pick but is there another position like first base?” Would it be Left Field? Not really because you have to run. THird Base – sort of but you have to throw. Second Base – not really either and so forth.

Final take away from World Series