Sep 24, 2011, 11:45 AM EST
Bad news for one of the most productive rookies in the National League.
Lucas Duda crashed into the right field wall while trying to track down a fly ball hit by Albert Pujols during Wednesday’s game. While it looked like a fairly innocuous play at the time, the rookie outfielder left the game with dizziness and is now suffering from headaches.
The Mets have yet to rule out a concussion and manager Terry Collins told Adam Rubin of ESPN New York this morning that Duda may not play in the final six games of the season.
Duda, 25, is batting .292/.370/.482 with 10 homers, 50 RBI and an .852 OPS over 347 plate appearances this season. He ranks 10th in the National League (among players with at least 200 plate appearances) with a .957 OPS since the All-Star break.
Collins told Rubin last night that he envisions Duda as the starting right fielder for the club in 2012. He also mentioned the possibility of flipping Jason Bay to right field and moving Duda to left.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 0
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)