Sep 24, 2011, 9:51 PM EDT
Marlins closer Leo Nunez was sent back to the Dominican Republic on Thursday and placed on Major League Baseball’s restricted list after it was revealed that he had been pitching under a fake identity since his arrival in the United States.
The right-hander’s real name is Juan Carlos Oviedo, and he’s one year older than his listed age of 28.
But now more details have emerged, and the story has suddenly taken a kind of heartwarming turn. If illegal activities can be considered heartwarming.
According to Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald, Oviedo actually did the revealing himself — admitting the longtime fraud to authorities on September 7 at the dying request of his father, who passed away around the beginning of spring training.
It doesn’t change the fact that Oviedo committed a crime. And he’s obviously going to have to pay for that, perhaps even at the expense of his baseball career. But he wasn’t caught, and probably wouldn’t have ever been caught had he not turned himself in. Maybe that will help his case. Or at least keep the Marlins’ organization on his side as the Dominican and U.S. decision-makers consider repercussions.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)