Sep 24, 2011, 12:15 PM EDT
However, while Holliday has primarily batted fourth this season, he’ll bat fifth today against right-hander Rodrigo Lopez. Lance Berkman, who is batting .389 this month and holds an 11-game hitting streak, will stay in the cleanup spot.
Holliday hasn’t played since last Tuesday due to inflammation in his right middle finger. He took full batting practice before last night’s game and was available to pinch-hit.
Holliday, 31, is batting .295/.388/.528 with 22 home runs, 74 RBI and a .915 OPS over 503 plate appearances this season.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 1
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 236
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (237)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)