Sep 24, 2011, 1:45 AM EDT
Three teams clinch their divisions in the very same night? Now this is fun.
Thanks to a win over the Mariners and a little help from the Athletics, the Rangers are American League West champions for the second straight season. They defeated the Mariners 5-3 earlier in the evening, but the ginger ale didn’t flow until the Athletics beat the second-place Angels 3-1 nearly two hours later.
Josh Hamilton and Adrian Beltre both went deep in the victory while Craig Gentry added an inside-the-park home run. Hamilton now has 25 home runs on the season, including six in his last 10 games. Look out, American League. Matt Harrison made his pitch for a spot in the playoff rotation by giving up three runs over six innings. The southpaw has allowed three runs or less in each of his last four starts.
One of the big storylines entering the season was whether the Rangers would be able to survive without Cliff Lee, but I think that question is far more relevant now than it was during the regular season. C.J. Wilson has taken a huge step forward in his contract year while Derek Holland has enjoyed a fantastic second half, but it gets a little dicey from there. Then again, the other contenders in the American League don’t have a lot of quality depth in their starting rotations either.
Anyway, with the American League West out of the way, now all six divisions have been decided. All eyes on the Wild Card.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 3
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 28
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 19
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)