Sep 24, 2011, 1:45 AM EDT
Three teams clinch their divisions in the very same night? Now this is fun.
Thanks to a win over the Mariners and a little help from the Athletics, the Rangers are American League West champions for the second straight season. They defeated the Mariners 5-3 earlier in the evening, but the ginger ale didn’t flow until the Athletics beat the second-place Angels 3-1 nearly two hours later.
Josh Hamilton and Adrian Beltre both went deep in the victory while Craig Gentry added an inside-the-park home run. Hamilton now has 25 home runs on the season, including six in his last 10 games. Look out, American League. Matt Harrison made his pitch for a spot in the playoff rotation by giving up three runs over six innings. The southpaw has allowed three runs or less in each of his last four starts.
One of the big storylines entering the season was whether the Rangers would be able to survive without Cliff Lee, but I think that question is far more relevant now than it was during the regular season. C.J. Wilson has taken a huge step forward in his contract year while Derek Holland has enjoyed a fantastic second half, but it gets a little dicey from there. Then again, the other contenders in the American League don’t have a lot of quality depth in their starting rotations either.
Anyway, with the American League West out of the way, now all six divisions have been decided. All eyes on the Wild Card.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 15
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 33
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 57
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)