Sep 24, 2011, 1:45 AM EDT
Three teams clinch their divisions in the very same night? Now this is fun.
Thanks to a win over the Mariners and a little help from the Athletics, the Rangers are American League West champions for the second straight season. They defeated the Mariners 5-3 earlier in the evening, but the ginger ale didn’t flow until the Athletics beat the second-place Angels 3-1 nearly two hours later.
Josh Hamilton and Adrian Beltre both went deep in the victory while Craig Gentry added an inside-the-park home run. Hamilton now has 25 home runs on the season, including six in his last 10 games. Look out, American League. Matt Harrison made his pitch for a spot in the playoff rotation by giving up three runs over six innings. The southpaw has allowed three runs or less in each of his last four starts.
One of the big storylines entering the season was whether the Rangers would be able to survive without Cliff Lee, but I think that question is far more relevant now than it was during the regular season. C.J. Wilson has taken a huge step forward in his contract year while Derek Holland has enjoyed a fantastic second half, but it gets a little dicey from there. Then again, the other contenders in the American League don’t have a lot of quality depth in their starting rotations either.
Anyway, with the American League West out of the way, now all six divisions have been decided. All eyes on the Wild Card.
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 51
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 46
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 76
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 112
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (190)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (112)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)