Sep 25, 2011, 5:39 PM EST
The Braves were shutout by the Nationals in losing Sunday for the 10th time in their last 15 games, allowing the Cardinals to make up ground and climb to within one game in the wild card chase.
Atlanta lost this one 3-0 after dropping Saturday’s game 4-1. Ross Detwiler tossed six scoreless innings and combined with three relievers on a four-hitter for his sixth big-league victory. The Nationals got their three runs on homers from Wilson Ramos and Mike Morse. The Braves, meanwhile, received nothing from their top four hitters, as Michael Bourn, Martin Prado, Chipper Jones and Dan Uggla combined to go 0-for-16.
The Cards beat the Cubs for the second straight day, again by one run. The Cubs went ahead 2-1 on a Starlin Castro single in the seventh, but the Cards responded with solo homers from Yadier Molina in the seventh and Rafael Furcal in the eighth to win. Edwin Jackson, Marc Rzepczynski, Octavio Dotel and Jason Motte combined to limit the Cubs to five hits. Randy Wells was the hard-luck loser for Chicago, going the distance in a complete-game loss.
The Cards, now 88-71, will finish the season with a series in Houston. MLB’s worst team, the Astros are 55-103 for the season, though they are 7-7 in their last 14 games. The Braves, at 89-70, will finish at home against the struggling Phillies. Philadelphia did win today to snap an eight-game losing streak, but the club has nothing to play for from here.
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 94
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 44
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 32
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)