Sep 25, 2011, 5:39 PM EDT
The Braves were shutout by the Nationals in losing Sunday for the 10th time in their last 15 games, allowing the Cardinals to make up ground and climb to within one game in the wild card chase.
Atlanta lost this one 3-0 after dropping Saturday’s game 4-1. Ross Detwiler tossed six scoreless innings and combined with three relievers on a four-hitter for his sixth big-league victory. The Nationals got their three runs on homers from Wilson Ramos and Mike Morse. The Braves, meanwhile, received nothing from their top four hitters, as Michael Bourn, Martin Prado, Chipper Jones and Dan Uggla combined to go 0-for-16.
The Cards beat the Cubs for the second straight day, again by one run. The Cubs went ahead 2-1 on a Starlin Castro single in the seventh, but the Cards responded with solo homers from Yadier Molina in the seventh and Rafael Furcal in the eighth to win. Edwin Jackson, Marc Rzepczynski, Octavio Dotel and Jason Motte combined to limit the Cubs to five hits. Randy Wells was the hard-luck loser for Chicago, going the distance in a complete-game loss.
The Cards, now 88-71, will finish the season with a series in Houston. MLB’s worst team, the Astros are 55-103 for the season, though they are 7-7 in their last 14 games. The Braves, at 89-70, will finish at home against the struggling Phillies. Philadelphia did win today to snap an eight-game losing streak, but the club has nothing to play for from here.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 92
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (92)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)