Sep 25, 2011, 5:39 PM EDT
The Braves were shutout by the Nationals in losing Sunday for the 10th time in their last 15 games, allowing the Cardinals to make up ground and climb to within one game in the wild card chase.
Atlanta lost this one 3-0 after dropping Saturday’s game 4-1. Ross Detwiler tossed six scoreless innings and combined with three relievers on a four-hitter for his sixth big-league victory. The Nationals got their three runs on homers from Wilson Ramos and Mike Morse. The Braves, meanwhile, received nothing from their top four hitters, as Michael Bourn, Martin Prado, Chipper Jones and Dan Uggla combined to go 0-for-16.
The Cards beat the Cubs for the second straight day, again by one run. The Cubs went ahead 2-1 on a Starlin Castro single in the seventh, but the Cards responded with solo homers from Yadier Molina in the seventh and Rafael Furcal in the eighth to win. Edwin Jackson, Marc Rzepczynski, Octavio Dotel and Jason Motte combined to limit the Cubs to five hits. Randy Wells was the hard-luck loser for Chicago, going the distance in a complete-game loss.
The Cards, now 88-71, will finish the season with a series in Houston. MLB’s worst team, the Astros are 55-103 for the season, though they are 7-7 in their last 14 games. The Braves, at 89-70, will finish at home against the struggling Phillies. Philadelphia did win today to snap an eight-game losing streak, but the club has nothing to play for from here.
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 0
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 4
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 9
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 29
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (188)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)