Sep 25, 2011, 5:39 PM EDT
The Braves were shutout by the Nationals in losing Sunday for the 10th time in their last 15 games, allowing the Cardinals to make up ground and climb to within one game in the wild card chase.
Atlanta lost this one 3-0 after dropping Saturday’s game 4-1. Ross Detwiler tossed six scoreless innings and combined with three relievers on a four-hitter for his sixth big-league victory. The Nationals got their three runs on homers from Wilson Ramos and Mike Morse. The Braves, meanwhile, received nothing from their top four hitters, as Michael Bourn, Martin Prado, Chipper Jones and Dan Uggla combined to go 0-for-16.
The Cards beat the Cubs for the second straight day, again by one run. The Cubs went ahead 2-1 on a Starlin Castro single in the seventh, but the Cards responded with solo homers from Yadier Molina in the seventh and Rafael Furcal in the eighth to win. Edwin Jackson, Marc Rzepczynski, Octavio Dotel and Jason Motte combined to limit the Cubs to five hits. Randy Wells was the hard-luck loser for Chicago, going the distance in a complete-game loss.
The Cards, now 88-71, will finish the season with a series in Houston. MLB’s worst team, the Astros are 55-103 for the season, though they are 7-7 in their last 14 games. The Braves, at 89-70, will finish at home against the struggling Phillies. Philadelphia did win today to snap an eight-game losing streak, but the club has nothing to play for from here.
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” ligament 3
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 11
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 124
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (124)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)