Sep 25, 2011, 5:39 PM EDT
The Braves were shutout by the Nationals in losing Sunday for the 10th time in their last 15 games, allowing the Cardinals to make up ground and climb to within one game in the wild card chase.
Atlanta lost this one 3-0 after dropping Saturday’s game 4-1. Ross Detwiler tossed six scoreless innings and combined with three relievers on a four-hitter for his sixth big-league victory. The Nationals got their three runs on homers from Wilson Ramos and Mike Morse. The Braves, meanwhile, received nothing from their top four hitters, as Michael Bourn, Martin Prado, Chipper Jones and Dan Uggla combined to go 0-for-16.
The Cards beat the Cubs for the second straight day, again by one run. The Cubs went ahead 2-1 on a Starlin Castro single in the seventh, but the Cards responded with solo homers from Yadier Molina in the seventh and Rafael Furcal in the eighth to win. Edwin Jackson, Marc Rzepczynski, Octavio Dotel and Jason Motte combined to limit the Cubs to five hits. Randy Wells was the hard-luck loser for Chicago, going the distance in a complete-game loss.
The Cards, now 88-71, will finish the season with a series in Houston. MLB’s worst team, the Astros are 55-103 for the season, though they are 7-7 in their last 14 games. The Braves, at 89-70, will finish at home against the struggling Phillies. Philadelphia did win today to snap an eight-game losing streak, but the club has nothing to play for from here.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte