Sep 25, 2011, 3:16 PM EDT
CarGo is still battling soreness in his banged-up right wrist and had a wisdom tooth extracted last week.
He could probably push through the discomfort and function as a pinch-hitter or defensive replacement over the Rockies’ final handful of games, but what would be the point? The Rockies entered play Sunday 21 games back of the Diamondbacks in the National League West standings and 18 games behind the Braves in the National League Wild Card chase. They’re, um, out of it.
Gonzalez, 25, batted .295/.363/.526 with 26 home runs, 92 RBI and 20 stolen bases in 542 plate appearances this year for fourth-place Colorado. He earned National League MVP votes last season when he posted a .336/.376/.598 slash line, 34 home runs, 117 RBI and 26 steals across 636 plate appearances.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 22
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (219)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)