Sep 25, 2011, 3:16 PM EDT
CarGo is still battling soreness in his banged-up right wrist and had a wisdom tooth extracted last week.
He could probably push through the discomfort and function as a pinch-hitter or defensive replacement over the Rockies’ final handful of games, but what would be the point? The Rockies entered play Sunday 21 games back of the Diamondbacks in the National League West standings and 18 games behind the Braves in the National League Wild Card chase. They’re, um, out of it.
Gonzalez, 25, batted .295/.363/.526 with 26 home runs, 92 RBI and 20 stolen bases in 542 plate appearances this year for fourth-place Colorado. He earned National League MVP votes last season when he posted a .336/.376/.598 slash line, 34 home runs, 117 RBI and 26 steals across 636 plate appearances.
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 21
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 13
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys (149)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)