Sep 25, 2011, 5:12 PM EST
The Red Sox dropped yet another game in the first of two against the Yankees on Sunday, falling 6-2 despite a pair of homers from Jacoby Ellsbury. Meanwhile, the Rays beat the Blue Jays 5-2 and are now just a half-game out in the wild card chase.
If the Red Sox falter again tonight, they’ll enter the final three games of the series tied with Tampa Bay.
The Red Sox fell behind early yet again, as their opponents scored first for the ninth time in 10 games. The Yankees took a 2-0 lead in the first after both Brett Gardner and Derek Jeter dropped down bunt singles to start a rally. The Bombers added a two-run homer from Jorge Posada in the third, and in spite of Ellsbury’s best efforts, the Red Sox never threatened from there, as A.J. Burnett pitched into the eighth inning for the first time since July 29 and won for just the third time in the second half.
The Rays’ game played out similarly, as Tampa Bay scored two in the first and two in the third to take an early 4-1 lead. Wade Davis allowed just three hits over eight innings for his victory. B.J. Upton, Ben Zobrist, Evan Longoria and Kelly Shoppach all homered for the Rays. Zobrist’s was an inside-the-park homer on which Jose Bautista was injured crashing into the wall in right field.
Tampa Bay will finish off the regular season with a three-game series at home against the Yankees. The Red Sox will play Baltimore three times after finishing the series in New York tonight.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 20
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)