Sep 25, 2011, 5:12 PM EDT
The Red Sox dropped yet another game in the first of two against the Yankees on Sunday, falling 6-2 despite a pair of homers from Jacoby Ellsbury. Meanwhile, the Rays beat the Blue Jays 5-2 and are now just a half-game out in the wild card chase.
If the Red Sox falter again tonight, they’ll enter the final three games of the series tied with Tampa Bay.
The Red Sox fell behind early yet again, as their opponents scored first for the ninth time in 10 games. The Yankees took a 2-0 lead in the first after both Brett Gardner and Derek Jeter dropped down bunt singles to start a rally. The Bombers added a two-run homer from Jorge Posada in the third, and in spite of Ellsbury’s best efforts, the Red Sox never threatened from there, as A.J. Burnett pitched into the eighth inning for the first time since July 29 and won for just the third time in the second half.
The Rays’ game played out similarly, as Tampa Bay scored two in the first and two in the third to take an early 4-1 lead. Wade Davis allowed just three hits over eight innings for his victory. B.J. Upton, Ben Zobrist, Evan Longoria and Kelly Shoppach all homered for the Rays. Zobrist’s was an inside-the-park homer on which Jose Bautista was injured crashing into the wall in right field.
Tampa Bay will finish off the regular season with a three-game series at home against the Yankees. The Red Sox will play Baltimore three times after finishing the series in New York tonight.
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 12
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 19
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 34
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 13
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)