Sep 25, 2011, 5:12 PM EDT
The Red Sox dropped yet another game in the first of two against the Yankees on Sunday, falling 6-2 despite a pair of homers from Jacoby Ellsbury. Meanwhile, the Rays beat the Blue Jays 5-2 and are now just a half-game out in the wild card chase.
If the Red Sox falter again tonight, they’ll enter the final three games of the series tied with Tampa Bay.
The Red Sox fell behind early yet again, as their opponents scored first for the ninth time in 10 games. The Yankees took a 2-0 lead in the first after both Brett Gardner and Derek Jeter dropped down bunt singles to start a rally. The Bombers added a two-run homer from Jorge Posada in the third, and in spite of Ellsbury’s best efforts, the Red Sox never threatened from there, as A.J. Burnett pitched into the eighth inning for the first time since July 29 and won for just the third time in the second half.
The Rays’ game played out similarly, as Tampa Bay scored two in the first and two in the third to take an early 4-1 lead. Wade Davis allowed just three hits over eight innings for his victory. B.J. Upton, Ben Zobrist, Evan Longoria and Kelly Shoppach all homered for the Rays. Zobrist’s was an inside-the-park homer on which Jose Bautista was injured crashing into the wall in right field.
Tampa Bay will finish off the regular season with a three-game series at home against the Yankees. The Red Sox will play Baltimore three times after finishing the series in New York tonight.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 30
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 8
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)