Sep 25, 2011, 5:12 PM EST
The Red Sox dropped yet another game in the first of two against the Yankees on Sunday, falling 6-2 despite a pair of homers from Jacoby Ellsbury. Meanwhile, the Rays beat the Blue Jays 5-2 and are now just a half-game out in the wild card chase.
If the Red Sox falter again tonight, they’ll enter the final three games of the series tied with Tampa Bay.
The Red Sox fell behind early yet again, as their opponents scored first for the ninth time in 10 games. The Yankees took a 2-0 lead in the first after both Brett Gardner and Derek Jeter dropped down bunt singles to start a rally. The Bombers added a two-run homer from Jorge Posada in the third, and in spite of Ellsbury’s best efforts, the Red Sox never threatened from there, as A.J. Burnett pitched into the eighth inning for the first time since July 29 and won for just the third time in the second half.
The Rays’ game played out similarly, as Tampa Bay scored two in the first and two in the third to take an early 4-1 lead. Wade Davis allowed just three hits over eight innings for his victory. B.J. Upton, Ben Zobrist, Evan Longoria and Kelly Shoppach all homered for the Rays. Zobrist’s was an inside-the-park homer on which Jose Bautista was injured crashing into the wall in right field.
Tampa Bay will finish off the regular season with a three-game series at home against the Yankees. The Red Sox will play Baltimore three times after finishing the series in New York tonight.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 74
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)