Sep 25, 2011, 8:22 AM EDT
Rays designated hitter Johnny Damon went 3-for-3 with a home run and four RBI in a 6-2 defeat of the Blue Jays on Saturday evening in Tampa Bay.
A few hours earlier, up north at Yankee Stadium, the Bronx Bombers put a 9-1 hurting on a Red Sox team that has now played 5-17 ball in September.
As noted by ESPN Boston’s Gordon Edes, the 1962 Mets lost a whopping 120 games and still went 6-18 over the final month of the regular season.
The Rays are now just 1.5 games back in the American League Wild Card standings with four contests to play. It’s a race that will go down to the wire.
Your Saturday box scores:
Twins 2, Indians 8 (Game 1)
Phillies 1, Mets 2 (Game 1)
Twins 6, Indians 7 (Game 2)
Phillies 3, Mets 6 (Game 2)
Rockies 4, Astros 2 (13 innings)
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 0
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 2
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 35
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)