Sep 25, 2011, 1:29 PM EDT
“Moneyball” opened in theaters nationwide on Friday and brought in $6.8 million within 24 hours.
It’s on pace to gross more than $20 million by the end of the day Sunday, the highest total ever for the opening weekend of a baseball-related drama.
Not that any of this was unexpected. Take a best-selling book, make it into a movie, cast Brad Pitt in the leading role, and you’re probably going to be in good shape. Add to that a 94% rating from Rotten Tomatoes and a well-crafted review from HBT’s own Aaron Gleeman, and you’re soaring.
Which all leads us to this gem from the official Twitter feed of Baseball-Reference.com:
The tweet might not be completely accurate, given that a Sony studio executive probably stands to gain the most financial profit from the flick, but the point is a funny one. For all the momentum that the sabermetrics movement has gained since the release of Michael Lewis’ book and for all the invaluable websites that it has helped spawned, a pretty-boy Hollywood actor with next to no knowledge about the game of baseball or its advanced metrics has benefited from the stuff more than almost anyone. Poor Bill James.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)