Sep 26, 2011, 6:34 PM EDT
Unlike the rest of the teams already in the postseason, the Brewers don’t know exactly who their No. 1 starter is. It looks like they may have made the decision today, as they went from listing Yovani Gallardo as Wednesday’s starter to a TBA for the day.
The Brewers have Shaun Marcum starting tonight, so he’s right in line to start Saturday’s Game 1. However, now it looks like he could go Sunday on five days’ rest, allowing Gallardo to slot in first. The complicating factor there is that Zack Greinke hasn’t pitched since Saturday, so he’d be going on nine days’ rest if the Brewers held him back for next Tuesday’s Game 3. Gallardo likely would have been the Game 3 starter had he pitched Wednesday.
So, the Brewers may have a couple of more manuevers left in store. For one, they’ll probably want to get Greinke a couple of innings in Wednesday’s regular-season finale to prevent the long layoff. They could also use Gallardo for a couple of innings then, though that would put Marcum back in line for Game 1.
Really, it all comes down to who they want to start Game 5. There isn’t a whole lot separating the pitchers at the moment. Here are their second-half numbers:
Gallardo: 7-5, 3.20 ERA, 103/15 K/BB in 90 IP
Marcum: 6-4, 3.20 ERA, 55/21 K/BB in 84 1/3 IP
Greinke: 8-3, 2.56 ERA, 98/28 K/BB in 91 1/3 IP
The one thing we can be sure of is that Randy Wolf will start Game 4. He’s 7-4 with a 3.57 ERA sinec the All-Star break.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 32
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 43
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 37
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 36
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 84
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 89
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (190)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)