Sep 26, 2011, 6:34 PM EDT
Unlike the rest of the teams already in the postseason, the Brewers don’t know exactly who their No. 1 starter is. It looks like they may have made the decision today, as they went from listing Yovani Gallardo as Wednesday’s starter to a TBA for the day.
The Brewers have Shaun Marcum starting tonight, so he’s right in line to start Saturday’s Game 1. However, now it looks like he could go Sunday on five days’ rest, allowing Gallardo to slot in first. The complicating factor there is that Zack Greinke hasn’t pitched since Saturday, so he’d be going on nine days’ rest if the Brewers held him back for next Tuesday’s Game 3. Gallardo likely would have been the Game 3 starter had he pitched Wednesday.
So, the Brewers may have a couple of more manuevers left in store. For one, they’ll probably want to get Greinke a couple of innings in Wednesday’s regular-season finale to prevent the long layoff. They could also use Gallardo for a couple of innings then, though that would put Marcum back in line for Game 1.
Really, it all comes down to who they want to start Game 5. There isn’t a whole lot separating the pitchers at the moment. Here are their second-half numbers:
Gallardo: 7-5, 3.20 ERA, 103/15 K/BB in 90 IP
Marcum: 6-4, 3.20 ERA, 55/21 K/BB in 84 1/3 IP
Greinke: 8-3, 2.56 ERA, 98/28 K/BB in 91 1/3 IP
The one thing we can be sure of is that Randy Wolf will start Game 4. He’s 7-4 with a 3.57 ERA sinec the All-Star break.
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 0
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 2
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 56
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 49
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games