Sep 26, 2011, 6:34 PM EDT
Unlike the rest of the teams already in the postseason, the Brewers don’t know exactly who their No. 1 starter is. It looks like they may have made the decision today, as they went from listing Yovani Gallardo as Wednesday’s starter to a TBA for the day.
The Brewers have Shaun Marcum starting tonight, so he’s right in line to start Saturday’s Game 1. However, now it looks like he could go Sunday on five days’ rest, allowing Gallardo to slot in first. The complicating factor there is that Zack Greinke hasn’t pitched since Saturday, so he’d be going on nine days’ rest if the Brewers held him back for next Tuesday’s Game 3. Gallardo likely would have been the Game 3 starter had he pitched Wednesday.
So, the Brewers may have a couple of more manuevers left in store. For one, they’ll probably want to get Greinke a couple of innings in Wednesday’s regular-season finale to prevent the long layoff. They could also use Gallardo for a couple of innings then, though that would put Marcum back in line for Game 1.
Really, it all comes down to who they want to start Game 5. There isn’t a whole lot separating the pitchers at the moment. Here are their second-half numbers:
Gallardo: 7-5, 3.20 ERA, 103/15 K/BB in 90 IP
Marcum: 6-4, 3.20 ERA, 55/21 K/BB in 84 1/3 IP
Greinke: 8-3, 2.56 ERA, 98/28 K/BB in 91 1/3 IP
The one thing we can be sure of is that Randy Wolf will start Game 4. He’s 7-4 with a 3.57 ERA sinec the All-Star break.
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 56
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 14
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys (149)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)