Sep 26, 2011, 6:34 PM EDT
Unlike the rest of the teams already in the postseason, the Brewers don’t know exactly who their No. 1 starter is. It looks like they may have made the decision today, as they went from listing Yovani Gallardo as Wednesday’s starter to a TBA for the day.
The Brewers have Shaun Marcum starting tonight, so he’s right in line to start Saturday’s Game 1. However, now it looks like he could go Sunday on five days’ rest, allowing Gallardo to slot in first. The complicating factor there is that Zack Greinke hasn’t pitched since Saturday, so he’d be going on nine days’ rest if the Brewers held him back for next Tuesday’s Game 3. Gallardo likely would have been the Game 3 starter had he pitched Wednesday.
So, the Brewers may have a couple of more manuevers left in store. For one, they’ll probably want to get Greinke a couple of innings in Wednesday’s regular-season finale to prevent the long layoff. They could also use Gallardo for a couple of innings then, though that would put Marcum back in line for Game 1.
Really, it all comes down to who they want to start Game 5. There isn’t a whole lot separating the pitchers at the moment. Here are their second-half numbers:
Gallardo: 7-5, 3.20 ERA, 103/15 K/BB in 90 IP
Marcum: 6-4, 3.20 ERA, 55/21 K/BB in 84 1/3 IP
Greinke: 8-3, 2.56 ERA, 98/28 K/BB in 91 1/3 IP
The one thing we can be sure of is that Randy Wolf will start Game 4. He’s 7-4 with a 3.57 ERA sinec the All-Star break.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 19
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 89
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)