Fernando Rodney on lack of work for Angels: “I’m really mad”

Sep 26, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim Photo Day Getty Images

Fernando Rodney has made no secret about his frustration with losing the closer job and becoming a forgotten man in the Angels’ bullpen, and Mike DiGiovanni of the Los Angeles Times reports that he asked the team for a trade a few weeks ago.

His wish was not granted and over the weekend Rodney vented more frustration, saying:

I’m mad. I’m really mad. I told them if they’re not going to use me, trade me. They say no, we need you for this year. They think I can’t pitch anymore. I think I can, but there’s nothing you can do. Why they lost confidence in me, I don’t know. It started when I blew that first game in Kansas City.

DiGiovanni notes that Rodney has appeared in just two games this month, but in fairness to the Angels “we need you for this year” may have simply been another way of saying “no other teams would give us anything for you this late in the season.”

Rodney lost the closer job early in the season, spent six weeks on the disabled list with a back injury, and returned to walk eight batters in nine innings from late July through the end of August. And then he coughed up four runs on September 2. All of which explains why he’s been used just once since then.

Overall this season Rodney has a decent-looking 4.50 ERA, but that comes with more walks (28) than strikeouts (26) in 32 innings. Mike Scioscia cited his lack of command and consistency as the reasons for Rodney’s lack of work, although more work would presumably improve his command and consistency.

Rodney is finishing up a two-year, $11 million contract and there’s clearly zero chance of the 34-year-old right-hander re-signing with the Angels. So far for that money he’s given them 100 innings of a 4.32 ERA and 79/63 K/BB ratio. He’ll be lucky to get a one-year deal for a couple million bucks as a free agent.

1. jarathen - Sep 26, 2011 at 12:01 PM

What an ingrate. You made your money and sucked hard in doing so. Jordan Walden isn’t much better, but he also didn’t cost 7 figures. Don’t let the door hit you.

2. cosanostra71 - Sep 26, 2011 at 1:12 PM

I think Walden is pretty good. Rodney has been horrible.

• jarathen - Sep 26, 2011 at 3:21 PM

I think Walden will get better with time, but he’s blown more savs this season than K-Rod did when he had 69 chances and converted 62 of them. What’s he at, 9 blown saves, and he didn’t even get the chance to convert the first two opportunities of the season? He’s got to develop that killer instinct to get hitters out when they’re up against the ropes. When he struggles, hitters are seeing way too many pitches and he falls into predictability.

3. Jeremiah Graves - Sep 26, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Rodney is a perfect example of someone who was thrust into the closer’s role one upon a time out of necessity and thinks he’s a legit big-game, top-tier player as a result of becoming a–everyone with sing along with me now–”proven closer.”

The dude has been a middling pitcher, at best, his entire career and managed to snag ninth inning duties in Detroit for years because Zumaya’s arm kept falling apart they had no legitimate plan B for years.

He’s posted crappy numbers for years and somehow received opportunity after opportunity to be a closer. He’s garbage on the hill and should be happy that he’s an overpaid mop-up man and not bagging groceries for $8/hour. If he wants to pitch in the bigs, he should probably learn how to pitch in the bigs without serving up batting/walking practice every time out.

4. Francisco (FC) - Sep 26, 2011 at 5:02 PM

I guess he’s channeling Dot from the Animaniacs…

5. jimatkins - Sep 26, 2011 at 5:51 PM

I’m a longterm hardcore Angels fan (I was there in 1979 when they clinched the first pennant against KC). Rodney isn’t pitching because he has been at best mediocre every time they have given him a chance. He complains that since blowing the lead against the Royals, the team hasn’t believed in him. Teams and managers tend to believe in pitchers that DON’T BLOW GAMES! Get real, overpriced pile of manure.

6. wlschneider09 - Sep 26, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Angels on lack of pitching from Fernando Rodney: “We’re really mad”

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5496)