Sep 26, 2011, 1:20 PM EDT
Hall of Fame catcher Gary Carter has experienced a setback in his treatment for brain cancer, with his daughter writing in the family’s online journal that doctors discovered “an abnormal and unusual spot” on his right temple and scheduled him for a biopsy.
Here are the details provided by Kimmy Bloemers, via Adam Rubin of ESPN New York:
When I saw the look on my dad’s face, I just wanted to cry. This journey has been so emotional when there has been just one thing after the next that dad has to conquer. Dad did not complain; he just had look of sadness. I really hate that dad has to go through such a tough road. Dad got the biopsy and actually had several spots removed in various places. We hope to find out the results soon.
Once piece of positive news is that Carter’s white blood cell count has risen enough for him to receive a higher dosage of chemotherapy, which had been delayed.
To show support for Carter you can purchase “Team Carter” merchandise from TeamCarterStore.com, which donates money to various charities on behalf of the Gary Carter Foundation.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 21
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)