Sep 26, 2011, 1:20 PM EDT
Hall of Fame catcher Gary Carter has experienced a setback in his treatment for brain cancer, with his daughter writing in the family’s online journal that doctors discovered “an abnormal and unusual spot” on his right temple and scheduled him for a biopsy.
Here are the details provided by Kimmy Bloemers, via Adam Rubin of ESPN New York:
When I saw the look on my dad’s face, I just wanted to cry. This journey has been so emotional when there has been just one thing after the next that dad has to conquer. Dad did not complain; he just had look of sadness. I really hate that dad has to go through such a tough road. Dad got the biopsy and actually had several spots removed in various places. We hope to find out the results soon.
Once piece of positive news is that Carter’s white blood cell count has risen enough for him to receive a higher dosage of chemotherapy, which had been delayed.
To show support for Carter you can purchase “Team Carter” merchandise from TeamCarterStore.com, which donates money to various charities on behalf of the Gary Carter Foundation.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 6
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 20
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 56
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 69
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 93
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (94)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)