Sep 26, 2011, 1:20 PM EDT
Hall of Fame catcher Gary Carter has experienced a setback in his treatment for brain cancer, with his daughter writing in the family’s online journal that doctors discovered “an abnormal and unusual spot” on his right temple and scheduled him for a biopsy.
Here are the details provided by Kimmy Bloemers, via Adam Rubin of ESPN New York:
When I saw the look on my dad’s face, I just wanted to cry. This journey has been so emotional when there has been just one thing after the next that dad has to conquer. Dad did not complain; he just had look of sadness. I really hate that dad has to go through such a tough road. Dad got the biopsy and actually had several spots removed in various places. We hope to find out the results soon.
Once piece of positive news is that Carter’s white blood cell count has risen enough for him to receive a higher dosage of chemotherapy, which had been delayed.
To show support for Carter you can purchase “Team Carter” merchandise from TeamCarterStore.com, which donates money to various charities on behalf of the Gary Carter Foundation.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 61
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)