Sep 26, 2011, 1:20 PM EST
Hall of Fame catcher Gary Carter has experienced a setback in his treatment for brain cancer, with his daughter writing in the family’s online journal that doctors discovered “an abnormal and unusual spot” on his right temple and scheduled him for a biopsy.
Here are the details provided by Kimmy Bloemers, via Adam Rubin of ESPN New York:
When I saw the look on my dad’s face, I just wanted to cry. This journey has been so emotional when there has been just one thing after the next that dad has to conquer. Dad did not complain; he just had look of sadness. I really hate that dad has to go through such a tough road. Dad got the biopsy and actually had several spots removed in various places. We hope to find out the results soon.
Once piece of positive news is that Carter’s white blood cell count has risen enough for him to receive a higher dosage of chemotherapy, which had been delayed.
To show support for Carter you can purchase “Team Carter” merchandise from TeamCarterStore.com, which donates money to various charities on behalf of the Gary Carter Foundation.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 18
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)