Sep 26, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT
Chuck Garfien of CSNChicago.com sat down with Steve Stone and Hawk Harrelson to talk to them about “Moneyball.” You can probably expect some criticism of the overall concept form them, particularly Harrelson, but I was rather surprised at how sharp their comments were.
- Harrleson on Beane and his approach: “It’s bull—-, and he’s proven it’s bull—- by the moves that he’s made and the deals he’s made, and the games that he’s lost. How long has he been there?”
- Stone on the A’s success: “I’m sure there are other teams that have won 20, but how did that season work out for them? Did they win anything. See because they don’t give trophies to teams with 20-game winning streaks. What they do is they give you a World Series trophy if you win the World Series. They even give you a smaller ring if you get in the World Series, but don’t win it. Billy? That’s right, he never did that.”
- Stone asking if they included certain things in the movie: “Do they have Billy running through all those managers he ran through when he fired them and hired them? Does it end with him hiring his best man at his wedding (Bob Geren) and then having to fire him because none of his players listen to him anymore?”
- And of course there is all manner of “the computers are ruining the game” rebop from both of them. And an admission that they have neither read the book nor seen the movie, so they’re not even clear about what they’re ripping.
I get not being a fan of “Moneyball” or sabermetrics. But the venom from those two was rather shocking.
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 6
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 30
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 10
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 29
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (190)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)