Sep 26, 2011, 8:50 AM EST
The last weekend of the regular season brought us all kinds of interestingness:
- Walt Jocketty got a new deal from the Reds.
- Denard Span‘s fine in the kangaroo court may be five or six figures. You just don’t do that to a teammate, dude.
- Baseball wants the Dodgers sold. And if McCourt doesn’t do it, baseball wants them gone. McCourt is in his office this morning saying “say, I’m beginning to think they don’t like me that much.”
- Theo Epstein: “if you insist on blaming me, blame Tito too!” At least that’s how I’m going to choose to interpret that.
- They gave Jim Thome a statue. I was at the game when they announced it all. A dude sitting near me insisted that Thome was a bum that isn’t nice to people and that his whole nice guy persona is an act. I don’t know Jim Thome and I suppose it’s possible that every single person who has ever met him or written about him is wrong and this one guy at the ballpark on Friday has the real poop on that sonofabitch. I just kind of doubt it.
- The Brewers, Diamondbacks and Rangers all clinched their divisions. I would like to give a shoutout to our D.J. Short for finding all of the champagne celebration photos so quickly after the games ended. That’s some professional blogging right there, my friends.
- There’s gonna be an extra wild card next season. If we had it this season we’d be talking no race in the NL and almost nothing worth mentioning in the AL. Can’t wait!
- We’re gonna have Mets/Madoff lawsuit news as early as this morning.
- Wang extension. Snicker snicker. Snort snort.
- This is really the new Marlins’ cap? And people in a position of authority are just going to let it happen?
- The “Leo Nunez” saga is taking on operatic proportions.
- Wow, the Cardinals look like they really may lowball Albert Pujols.
- Sabermetrics have made a lot of money for at least one guy.
- The current thinking is that Toronto has decided that knucklehead malcontents are the new market inefficiency. Colby Rasmus isn’t doing anything to disabuse us of that notion.
- Manny Acta stole my idea! I swear, it was my idea to put Jim Thome at third two days before it happened!
- Jacoby Ellsbury is your … 30/30 man. The men don’t know, but the little girls … understand.
- Brian Matusz breaks a record held by Roy Halladay!
- Clayton Kershaw may very well follow Halladay as Cy Young award winner.
Three games left, kids. And then the season changes into something different. Something good and valuable and exciting. But something different. I always feel bittersweet about that.
- Report: Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from the Athletics 0
- The Matt Kemp trade is expected to go down as planned 0
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 69
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)