Sep 26, 2011, 8:50 AM EST
The last weekend of the regular season brought us all kinds of interestingness:
- Walt Jocketty got a new deal from the Reds.
- Denard Span‘s fine in the kangaroo court may be five or six figures. You just don’t do that to a teammate, dude.
- Baseball wants the Dodgers sold. And if McCourt doesn’t do it, baseball wants them gone. McCourt is in his office this morning saying “say, I’m beginning to think they don’t like me that much.”
- Theo Epstein: “if you insist on blaming me, blame Tito too!” At least that’s how I’m going to choose to interpret that.
- They gave Jim Thome a statue. I was at the game when they announced it all. A dude sitting near me insisted that Thome was a bum that isn’t nice to people and that his whole nice guy persona is an act. I don’t know Jim Thome and I suppose it’s possible that every single person who has ever met him or written about him is wrong and this one guy at the ballpark on Friday has the real poop on that sonofabitch. I just kind of doubt it.
- The Brewers, Diamondbacks and Rangers all clinched their divisions. I would like to give a shoutout to our D.J. Short for finding all of the champagne celebration photos so quickly after the games ended. That’s some professional blogging right there, my friends.
- There’s gonna be an extra wild card next season. If we had it this season we’d be talking no race in the NL and almost nothing worth mentioning in the AL. Can’t wait!
- We’re gonna have Mets/Madoff lawsuit news as early as this morning.
- Wang extension. Snicker snicker. Snort snort.
- This is really the new Marlins’ cap? And people in a position of authority are just going to let it happen?
- The “Leo Nunez” saga is taking on operatic proportions.
- Wow, the Cardinals look like they really may lowball Albert Pujols.
- Sabermetrics have made a lot of money for at least one guy.
- The current thinking is that Toronto has decided that knucklehead malcontents are the new market inefficiency. Colby Rasmus isn’t doing anything to disabuse us of that notion.
- Manny Acta stole my idea! I swear, it was my idea to put Jim Thome at third two days before it happened!
- Jacoby Ellsbury is your … 30/30 man. The men don’t know, but the little girls … understand.
- Brian Matusz breaks a record held by Roy Halladay!
- Clayton Kershaw may very well follow Halladay as Cy Young award winner.
Three games left, kids. And then the season changes into something different. Something good and valuable and exciting. But something different. I always feel bittersweet about that.
- Mariners sign Corey Hart 18
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 32
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 20
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 65
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)