Sep 26, 2011, 8:08 AM EDT
You might have figured that John Lackey, having actually pitched deep into a ballgame last night — a game the Sox ended up winning — would have been happy about it. But happy he wasn’t, as was clear from the bizarre scene at his locker.
After being asked about his rocky first inning — which annoyed him enough — he went off on an unexpected tanget:
“Let me tell you the truth. Thirty minutes before the game I got a text message on my cell phone from one of you, somebody in the media, talking about personal stuff. I shouldn’t even have to be standing up here dealing with it. I’m sitting here, listening to music. I don’t know who got my phone number, but that’s over the line. Anything else you want to talk about?’’
Video of his comments can be seen over at CSNNE.com. Some insight about what that may have been about could be found early this morning on TMZ, where it is being reported that Lackey has filed divorce from his wife.
Though Lackey probably needs a way to figure out how to keep his cool better in tough situations, you can probably understand that Lackey wouldn’t be pleased getting a text about his apparently impending divorce before the game. You can probably also figure that the way this is coming out, at least as it is couched in that TMZ article — “Red Sox John Lackey Divorcing Wife Battling Cancer” — is going to distress him greatly.
As for that TMZ story: I suppose there is a more loaded way to report that kind of thing, but I’m struggling to see how. Assuming it is true, yes, John Lackey is divorcing his wife. A wife who, yes, has been and likely still is battling cancer. But there’s an implication of a connection between those two things, it seems to me, designed to make Lackey look insensitive.
Fact is, we have no idea what’s going on with him and his wife and, though it’s probably too much to expect from an outfit like TMZ, one would hope that the media will tread carefully here.
UPDATE: Guess it’s too late, as some are apparently deciding to go all-in on Lackey.
Look, I can’t sit here and say that I can envision a situation in which I’d leave my wife if she had cancer. But at the same time, there are a couple of possibilities here. (1) Lackey is a horrible monster of a person; or (2) any number of things that we don’t and can’t know are going on with his marriage and that great unknown in a private zone of his life makes it really inappropriate for us to come down with a moral judgment at the moment.
But screw that. Let’s jump at (1), OK?
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)