Sep 26, 2011, 5:42 PM EDT
There’s speculation that the Red Sox may still trade for a veteran starting pitcher solely to have him pitch what could be a win-or-go-home game Wednesday, but barring that manager Terry Francona announced Jon Lester will start Game 162 on short rest.
Not only would Lester be pitching with just three days off between starts, he’d be doing so after coughing up eight runs in 2.2 innings against the Yankees on Saturday. He hasn’t thrown a Quality Start since shutting out the Blue Jays for seven innings on September 11, allowing 16 runs in 13.2 innings over three outings.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 16
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)