Sep 26, 2011, 5:42 PM EST
There’s speculation that the Red Sox may still trade for a veteran starting pitcher solely to have him pitch what could be a win-or-go-home game Wednesday, but barring that manager Terry Francona announced Jon Lester will start Game 162 on short rest.
Not only would Lester be pitching with just three days off between starts, he’d be doing so after coughing up eight runs in 2.2 innings against the Yankees on Saturday. He hasn’t thrown a Quality Start since shutting out the Blue Jays for seven innings on September 11, allowing 16 runs in 13.2 innings over three outings.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)