Sep 26, 2011, 5:42 PM EDT
There’s speculation that the Red Sox may still trade for a veteran starting pitcher solely to have him pitch what could be a win-or-go-home game Wednesday, but barring that manager Terry Francona announced Jon Lester will start Game 162 on short rest.
Not only would Lester be pitching with just three days off between starts, he’d be doing so after coughing up eight runs in 2.2 innings against the Yankees on Saturday. He hasn’t thrown a Quality Start since shutting out the Blue Jays for seven innings on September 11, allowing 16 runs in 13.2 innings over three outings.
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 20
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 65
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (126)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)