Sep 26, 2011, 8:42 PM EDT
Mark Trumbo‘s surprising rookie season has come to an unfortunate end.
According to Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times, Trumbo will miss the rest of the season with a stress fracture of the navicular bone in his right foot. He has actually played with the injury for about a month and a half, but the fracture was found when he underwent tests earlier today.
The good news is that Trumbo will not need surgery on the foot, but he will likely wear a walking boot and will be kept away from any strenuous activity for six weeks.
“Of course, I’m disappointed, but it’s one of those things,” said Trumbo, who arrived in Angel Stadium on Monday as his teammates were heading to the field for batting practice. “It got a little better with activity, but every game it flared up, and there would be a dull throb the rest of the game.”
Trumbo took over as the primary first baseman when Kendrys Morales failed to make it back a broken left ankle this spring. The 25-year-old emerged as a legitimate Rookie of the Year candidate in the process, batting .254/.291/.477 with 29 home runs, 87 RBI and a .768 OPS over 573 plate appearances. He leads the Angels and all major league rookies in home runs and RBI.
With Morales expected to return next season, the Angels were discussing the possibility of sending Trumbo to winter ball so that he could see some time at third base and in the outfield. It seems plans for a potential position change will have to wait until spring training.
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 50
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 27
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)