Sep 26, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
For those who were rooting for Matt Kemp to win the triple crown, know that it’s highly unlikely. After a good weekend from Ryan Braun and a mezzo-mezzo weekend from Kemp, Kemp now stands eight points behind Braun for the batting title.
As Mark Simon of ESPN Stats and Information, pinch hitting on Dodger Thoughts notes (a) the Brewers are likely to rest Ryan Braun in at least one of the remaining three games; and (b) no matter what Braun does in the time he plays, Kemp will have to get a hit in nearly every at bat for him to pass Braun. Simon has a chart that breaks down what Kemp’s average will be based on various hitting performances over his last three games, but the upshot is this:
From that chart, we can note that so long as Ryan Braun maintains his current .333 pace, Matt Kemp would have to go at least 10-for-13 to beat him (and hope that Jose Reyes didn’t have a good 3 games).
Yeah. That’s a tall order.
Dodger Thoughts — which, unlike the rest of us has been on the Matt Kemp Triple Crown Train for weeks now — has all manner of other fun triple crown factoids at his post, so go check it out.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)