Sep 26, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
For those who were rooting for Matt Kemp to win the triple crown, know that it’s highly unlikely. After a good weekend from Ryan Braun and a mezzo-mezzo weekend from Kemp, Kemp now stands eight points behind Braun for the batting title.
As Mark Simon of ESPN Stats and Information, pinch hitting on Dodger Thoughts notes (a) the Brewers are likely to rest Ryan Braun in at least one of the remaining three games; and (b) no matter what Braun does in the time he plays, Kemp will have to get a hit in nearly every at bat for him to pass Braun. Simon has a chart that breaks down what Kemp’s average will be based on various hitting performances over his last three games, but the upshot is this:
From that chart, we can note that so long as Ryan Braun maintains his current .333 pace, Matt Kemp would have to go at least 10-for-13 to beat him (and hope that Jose Reyes didn’t have a good 3 games).
Yeah. That’s a tall order.
Dodger Thoughts — which, unlike the rest of us has been on the Matt Kemp Triple Crown Train for weeks now — has all manner of other fun triple crown factoids at his post, so go check it out.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 2
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 55
- Breaking: The Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 99
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 70
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)