Sep 26, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
For those who were rooting for Matt Kemp to win the triple crown, know that it’s highly unlikely. After a good weekend from Ryan Braun and a mezzo-mezzo weekend from Kemp, Kemp now stands eight points behind Braun for the batting title.
As Mark Simon of ESPN Stats and Information, pinch hitting on Dodger Thoughts notes (a) the Brewers are likely to rest Ryan Braun in at least one of the remaining three games; and (b) no matter what Braun does in the time he plays, Kemp will have to get a hit in nearly every at bat for him to pass Braun. Simon has a chart that breaks down what Kemp’s average will be based on various hitting performances over his last three games, but the upshot is this:
From that chart, we can note that so long as Ryan Braun maintains his current .333 pace, Matt Kemp would have to go at least 10-for-13 to beat him (and hope that Jose Reyes didn’t have a good 3 games).
Yeah. That’s a tall order.
Dodger Thoughts — which, unlike the rest of us has been on the Matt Kemp Triple Crown Train for weeks now — has all manner of other fun triple crown factoids at his post, so go check it out.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8