Sep 26, 2011, 6:00 PM EST
This was pretty much a no-brainer, and it’s a highly unlikely scenario with the Angels having lost three out of four, but just in case, MLB today announced what would happen in the event of a three-team tie in the AL wild card.
Thursday: Angels at Red Sox
Friday: Rays at first-game winner
The Rays had the pick of the litter. They could choose the one game Friday on the road or set themselves up to play two games at home. Figuring it’d be easier to win one game than two, they made the obvious choice. The Red Sox then had the second pick in the draw and made their choice to play the Angels at home. The winner of the Angels-Red Sox game would host the Rays the following day.
Anyway, it’s likely all for naught now. The Angels are three games out in the wild card, meaning their first loss or first Boston win puts them out of the running for a postseason spot.
The Red Sox are one game up on the Rays. If it’s a two-way playoff between those two teams, it’d be played in St. Pete on Thursday.
Also still to be determined in the AL is who will host the wild card winner. The Rangers are one game up on the Tigers for the two-seed and the right to avoid the Yankees.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 10
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 22
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 81
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (81)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (79)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)