Sep 26, 2011, 6:00 PM EST
This was pretty much a no-brainer, and it’s a highly unlikely scenario with the Angels having lost three out of four, but just in case, MLB today announced what would happen in the event of a three-team tie in the AL wild card.
Thursday: Angels at Red Sox
Friday: Rays at first-game winner
The Rays had the pick of the litter. They could choose the one game Friday on the road or set themselves up to play two games at home. Figuring it’d be easier to win one game than two, they made the obvious choice. The Red Sox then had the second pick in the draw and made their choice to play the Angels at home. The winner of the Angels-Red Sox game would host the Rays the following day.
Anyway, it’s likely all for naught now. The Angels are three games out in the wild card, meaning their first loss or first Boston win puts them out of the running for a postseason spot.
The Red Sox are one game up on the Rays. If it’s a two-way playoff between those two teams, it’d be played in St. Pete on Thursday.
Also still to be determined in the AL is who will host the wild card winner. The Rangers are one game up on the Tigers for the two-seed and the right to avoid the Yankees.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)