Sep 26, 2011, 6:00 PM EDT
This was pretty much a no-brainer, and it’s a highly unlikely scenario with the Angels having lost three out of four, but just in case, MLB today announced what would happen in the event of a three-team tie in the AL wild card.
Thursday: Angels at Red Sox
Friday: Rays at first-game winner
The Rays had the pick of the litter. They could choose the one game Friday on the road or set themselves up to play two games at home. Figuring it’d be easier to win one game than two, they made the obvious choice. The Red Sox then had the second pick in the draw and made their choice to play the Angels at home. The winner of the Angels-Red Sox game would host the Rays the following day.
Anyway, it’s likely all for naught now. The Angels are three games out in the wild card, meaning their first loss or first Boston win puts them out of the running for a postseason spot.
The Red Sox are one game up on the Rays. If it’s a two-way playoff between those two teams, it’d be played in St. Pete on Thursday.
Also still to be determined in the AL is who will host the wild card winner. The Rangers are one game up on the Tigers for the two-seed and the right to avoid the Yankees.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 9
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 43
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)