Sep 26, 2011, 12:48 PM EDT
“Moneyball” looks like a mini-hit, as the movie made $20.6 million in its opening weekend while narrowly finishing behind “The Lion King 3D” ($22.1 million) and ahead of “Dolphin Tale” ($20.3 million) at the box office.
Claude Brodesser-Akner of New York Magazine places “Moneyball” among the “weekend winners” and reports that the audience was evenly split between males and females while 64 percent of the people who saw the movie during its first three days at the theater were over 35 years old.
“Moneyball” has a 94 percent “fresh” rating at Rotten Tomatoes–my review was also positive, but with some caveats–so presumably it’ll have a pretty decent shelf life beyond the solid opening week. With a budget under $50 million it should turn a significant profit pretty easily.
All of which is why Calcaterra and I will be pitching “HardballTalk: The Movie” to various Hollywood studios later this week. And by “pitching” I actually mean “wasting time on Google Chat talking about which far-too-good-looking actors should play us.”
My preferred choices are Don Cheadle or Jonah Hill, assuming the latter is willing to put all the weight he lost back on for the role. Calcaterra will be played by the long-deceased Telly Savalas, obviously.
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 2
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 75
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 11
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- Dodgers sign Cuban star Hector Olivera for $62.5 million 55
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (87)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (75)