Sep 26, 2011, 6:55 PM EDT
White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen, who has said he wouldn’t return in 2012 unless his contract situations is addressed, met with team owner Jerry Reinsdorf for 35 minutes on Monday, but he said that little was resolved.
“I left the meeting with nothing,” he said.
The Chicago Tribune’s Mark Gonzales tweets the more interesting quotes from Guillen’s postmeeting chat/rant, including the choice piece in the title.
The White Sox hold a 2012 option on Guillen, and it’s unclear whether they’ll exercise it, particularly since Guillen might see it as trying to keep him there against his wishes. As for Guillen’s salary, that’s never been revealed, although it’s well known that he isn’t making as much as managers such as Mike Scioscia, Tony La Russa and Terry Francona. ESPN Chicago’s Doug Padilla believes the option is worth right around $2 million.
With the relationship between the White Sox and Guillen looking pretty sour at the moment, there’s only going to be more speculation about Guillen potentially taking over the Marlins next year.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)