Sep 26, 2011, 5:17 PM EST
Peter Moylan had hoped to avoid surgery after being diagnosed with a partially torn rotator cuff in his right shoulder last week, but the Braves announced that he’ll go under the knife following a second opinion from Dr. James Andrews.
In many cases rotator cuff surgery is even tougher to come back from than Tommy John elbow surgery, so the 32-year-old reliever may very well miss all of next season.
He missed most of this season following back surgery in May and lasted just six appearances before the shoulder problems shut down him again.
On the bright side, it does give him more time to play dress-up.
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 18
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 30
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 81
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)