Sep 26, 2011, 9:08 PM EDT
According to Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times, Ozzie Guillen is managing his last game with the White Sox tonight. Oh, but that’s not all. He has been told by multiple sources that the White Sox are “in the final stages” of completing a deal to send him to the Marlins.
Of course, Guillen has been linked to the Marlins dating back to failed trade talks last offseason. The White Sox reportedly asked for Logan Morrison at the time, but the price would presumably be much less now that Guillen only has one year left on his contract. He has also given the White Sox little choice but to let him go, at least with his comments in the media.
Entering Monday’s action, Guillen has a 677-617 record (.523) over eight seasons as manager with the White Sox, including a World Series title in 2005.
Cowley writes that there will likely be sweeping changes to the White Sox coaching staff this offseason, but that renowned pitching coach Don Cooper already has a deal to on the table to stay with the organization.
UPDATE: Via Twitter, Ozzie Guillen Jr. has all but confirmed his father’s exit from the organization, writing,” thank you to all the great white sox fans who always showed support. Chicago the best city in the world will always be home.”
UPDATE II: Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the Marlins conducted managerial interviews today with Nationals third base coach Bo Porter and two in-house candidates (one believed to be current third base/outfield coach Joe Espada), but that they are on the verge of completing a deal for Guillen. The interviews were conducted in order to comply with MLB regulations. The White Sox are expected to receive at least one player in return.
UPDATE III: According to Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, the Marlins are not expected to make an announcement tonight.
UPDATE IV: The White Sox announced following tonight’s game that they have agreed to let Guillen out of his contract. Interesting wording considering what we have heard throughout the night, but the White Sox will receive compensation if he takes another manager job for 2012, which is apparently the case with the Marlins.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)