Sep 26, 2011, 9:08 PM EDT
According to Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times, Ozzie Guillen is managing his last game with the White Sox tonight. Oh, but that’s not all. He has been told by multiple sources that the White Sox are “in the final stages” of completing a deal to send him to the Marlins.
Of course, Guillen has been linked to the Marlins dating back to failed trade talks last offseason. The White Sox reportedly asked for Logan Morrison at the time, but the price would presumably be much less now that Guillen only has one year left on his contract. He has also given the White Sox little choice but to let him go, at least with his comments in the media.
Entering Monday’s action, Guillen has a 677-617 record (.523) over eight seasons as manager with the White Sox, including a World Series title in 2005.
Cowley writes that there will likely be sweeping changes to the White Sox coaching staff this offseason, but that renowned pitching coach Don Cooper already has a deal to on the table to stay with the organization.
UPDATE: Via Twitter, Ozzie Guillen Jr. has all but confirmed his father’s exit from the organization, writing,” thank you to all the great white sox fans who always showed support. Chicago the best city in the world will always be home.”
UPDATE II: Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the Marlins conducted managerial interviews today with Nationals third base coach Bo Porter and two in-house candidates (one believed to be current third base/outfield coach Joe Espada), but that they are on the verge of completing a deal for Guillen. The interviews were conducted in order to comply with MLB regulations. The White Sox are expected to receive at least one player in return.
UPDATE III: According to Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, the Marlins are not expected to make an announcement tonight.
UPDATE IV: The White Sox announced following tonight’s game that they have agreed to let Guillen out of his contract. Interesting wording considering what we have heard throughout the night, but the White Sox will receive compensation if he takes another manager job for 2012, which is apparently the case with the Marlins.
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 48
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)