Sep 26, 2011, 4:22 PM EST
Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that Gonzalez has been shut down for the season with a wrist injury and Tulowitzki is “available only in an emergency” due to hip problems. And since there aren’t many emergencies for a sub-.500 team playing the final series of the season with an expanded roster he might as well be shut down too.
Gonzalez got off to a slow start and wasn’t able to duplicate his monster 2010 production, seeing his OPS drop nearly 100 points while missing 35 games, but if you take his rough April out of the equation Gonzalez hit .311 with a .962 OPS in 103 games from May 1 on. Last season he hit .336 with a .974 OPS in 145 games overall.
Tulowitzki’s production has remained steady for the past three seasons, with OPS totals of .930, .949, and .916. Coors Field obviously boosts his raw numbers considerably, but during that three-year span his .931 OPS ranks eighth among all MLB hitters and first among shortstops by nearly 70 points over Hanley Ramirez.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 300
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (302)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)