The Red Sox are still trying to trade for a Wednesday starter

Sep 26, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT

Boston Red Sox v New York Yankees Getty Images

I don’t think this tweet from Nick Cafardo is necessarily indicative of the state of the Red Sox. My guess is that Jon Lester starts Wednesday regardless of what happens in the world of transactions.

But there is something kinda hilarious to me about the idea that the Red Sox could be playing for their baseball lives on Wednesday and still have some doubt about whether the guy who’s gonna take the ball for them is on their team at present:

source:

And no, there’s no reason why I used Tim Wakefield‘s picture here. I just have a backlog of “sad Red Sox” that I want to use up before the season is over.

1. nolanwiffle - Sep 26, 2011 at 2:09 PM

I was there when that photo was taken…….he’s actually just checking Pedroia’s scalp for ticks.

• Glenn - Sep 26, 2011 at 8:09 PM

He’s really checking a tick for Pedroias.

2. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 26, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Is this an indication of just how poor the Red Sox minor league ready pitching is in AAA and AA? Or would they not be up here pitching anyway because of innings counts or whatever?

• Jonny 5 - Sep 26, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Whaddaya think? Heavy B for a PTBNL?

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 26, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Of course I would do that in a second but I doubt the Red Sox would take on his $10 million next year for one stinking start, which he would probably put together his usual 6 IP, 4 ER, 5 Hits, 4 BB, 3 Ks…although that would probably be one of the best starts they would have seen in a month :)

3. Jack Marshall - Sep 26, 2011 at 2:23 PM

I think it makes sense, though it would make more sense if Lester wasn’t such an inconsistent cipher this year. If the Sox have a good Wednesday alternative, it allows them to set up their pitching even if the thing goes to the wire, with Lester, then Beckett in Games #1 and #2.

I don’t know why some team wouldn’t take advantage of Theo’s desperation and let the Sox overpay for some good pitcher who’s run out the string. And if the ownership is game, I don’t know why Theo wouldn’t pull off the ultimate rest-a-player deal.

In 1975, the Sox got Deron Johnson to replace Jim Rice, even though it was after the deadline. But that was for three weeks, not one game.

4. Jack Marshall - Sep 26, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Sorry–that was supposed to be “rent-a-player” not “rest a player.” Kevin Youkilis is the Sox “rest-a-player”…

• proudlycanadian - Sep 26, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Did you mean “Rent A Prayer”?

5. poprox13 - Sep 26, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Maybe they are looking for a pitcher to pitch the last day so Lester could be available if they have to face TB for a one game playoff?

• hansob - Sep 26, 2011 at 2:40 PM

good call. I’d think if they don’t fall into a tie over the next two days (or worse, Tampa goes up a game), then you don’t throw Lester on Wednesday. Even if the Sox are up a game, you throw a scrub and see what happens. You still have Lester for a one-game playoff, and who knows… maybe the Sox win with a guy off the street on Wednesday. Or maybe Tampa loses Wednesday.

6. sdelmonte - Sep 26, 2011 at 2:40 PM

I hear the Sox are planning to talk with the people Fox’s Terra Nova show about creating a crack in time and retrieving Pedro. Or Tiant. Or Cy Young.

• Jack Marshall - Sep 26, 2011 at 3:01 PM

They’d settle for Reggie Cleveland, Lee Stange or Earl Wilson, at this point.

• 18thstreet - Sep 26, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Are we sure that Pedro Martinez, today, isn’t the best option?

7. drmonkeyarmy - Sep 26, 2011 at 2:47 PM

I hear Ricky Nolasco is available.

8. missthedayswhenwedidnthavetologin - Sep 26, 2011 at 3:22 PM

I think Fernando Rodney is well-rested and looking for a gig.

9. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Sep 26, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Maybe they could trade for Rick Ankiel and talk him into pitching one game for them.

10. psousa1 - Sep 26, 2011 at 4:50 PM

That would be an embarrassment. Imagine a pitcher who has already playing out the string, jumping on a plane, and pitching for a team with which he has no vested interested?

11. theonlynolan - Sep 26, 2011 at 8:46 PM

It makes sense because if they clinch on tuesday they can rest Lester so he’s available for and one of the ALDS. Plus if the pitcher is a soon to be free agent and qualifies for type B status the sox might get an extra draft pick out of it. Smart move especially if all they give up is cash.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate