Sep 26, 2011, 12:16 PM EST
As a former World Series-winning manager Bob Brenly’s presence in the Cubs’ broadcast booth naturally leads to speculation about him moving into the dugout, but watching the team go 145-176 during the past two seasons may have soured him on getting back into managing.
Here’s what Brenly told Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune:
I kind of saw things that made me uncomfortable moving forward, trying to get that manager’s job. Unfortunately, a lot of them came true. It doesn’t make me Nostradamus or anything, but for me personally and professionally, I was much better off being where I was this year.
Brenly was briefly under consideration for the job last year before pulling his name out of the running and he clearly preferred spending the season alongside Len Kasper rather than alongside Carlos Zambrano.
Brenly has been pretty open with his criticism of the Cubs all season, which is one of the reasons why the Brenly-Kasper duo is one of the best in baseball, but he largely defended Mike Quade and said a turnaround is very possible for 2012. As for his 2012 plans, Brenly is under contract for more television work and said he won’t actively pursue any managerial openings.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 32
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (377)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)