Watching the Cubs has soured Bob Brenly on managing again

Sep 26, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT

brenly in booth

As a former World Series-winning manager Bob Brenly’s presence in the Cubs’ broadcast booth naturally leads to speculation about him moving into the dugout, but watching the team go 145-176 during the past two seasons may have soured him on getting back into managing.

Here’s what Brenly told Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune:

I kind of saw things that made me uncomfortable moving forward, trying to get that manager’s job. Unfortunately, a lot of them came true. It doesn’t make me Nostradamus or anything, but for me personally and professionally, I was much better off being where I was this year.

Brenly was briefly under consideration for the job last year before pulling his name out of the running and he clearly preferred spending the season alongside Len Kasper rather than alongside Carlos Zambrano.

Brenly has been pretty open with his criticism of the Cubs all season, which is one of the reasons why the Brenly-Kasper duo is one of the best in baseball, but he largely defended Mike Quade and said a turnaround is very possible for 2012. As for his 2012 plans, Brenly is under contract for more television work and said he won’t actively pursue any managerial openings.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Sep 26, 2011 at 12:25 PM

I love Len and Bob together; and Bob’s non-biased insight is one of the reasons I like him so much. I can’t even imagine how frustrated he must have been at certain times, but I really hope this tandem sticks around for many more years to come. They’re a near-pefect duo.

• Alex K - Sep 26, 2011 at 12:51 PM

I agree. I love Len and Bob.

2. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 26, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Stonepony was critical of the team too, but that caused issues and led to his eventual departure. I guess you can be more critical when the team is so atrociously bad. Or perhaps they are just trying to do it right this time around. Now Stonepony rubs it in their faces on the South Side. That is one of the more stupid moves the Cubs made in the last decade that often isn’t talked about. That said, Brenley and Kasper have grown on me a bit over the last couple seasons too.

• Alex K - Sep 26, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Different ownership.

3. dailyrev - Sep 26, 2011 at 1:32 PM

They’re OK — I chose their voices over the hideous St. Loo group this weekend — but they’re not as good as Martinez/Tabler (Toronto). Once you set aside the genius of Scully, there are only 2 or 3 competent broadcast voice-sets in all of baseball broadcasting. It’s the rank homer-ism that’s really objectionable, sometimes vomit-inducing (Sterling of the Yankees radio is the vomit-bag king in this respect).

The main point is that these guys simply shouldn’t be required or even encouraged to root for The Team — people tuning into the broadcast can do that just fine on their own. Brenly too often starts rooting. And his criticisms, usually justifiable, are sometimes off the mark. His hammering at Aramis Ramirez is particularly misdirected: that guy was not among the Cubs’ prominent troubles this season, no matter what his flaws may be. And the defense of Quade is pretty weak in light of Brenly’s attacks on several of the players: the chaos in Cubland reflects mgt. that lost its grip on the reins, and that needs to be called out. If Brenly’s afraid of making that call because he fears people will suspect a hidden agenda (Bob’s slamming Quade because he wants his job), then there’s an objectivity problem that he needs to address in thinking about his career direction.

As always with corporate media, the problem is that these voices are paid by the teams, and so feel compelled to perform for the team instead of for baseball fans. It’s not different from other media: look around MSNBC for instance and see if you can find any writing/reporting that’s critical of GE (no taxes paid in 2010) or Microsoft (until recently, the prominent anti-trust bully of the techno-world).

4. bravesman1983 - Sep 26, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Yeah. What happened to Steve Stone has nothing to do with the current incarnation of the Cubs organization. Most (all?) of the guilty parties in that travesty have since moved on.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5288)