Sep 27, 2011, 6:27 PM EDT
Having been eliminated from postseason contention with Monday’s loss, the Angels decided there was no need to push two of their top three starters any further. They scratched Ervin Santana from his start Tuesday against Texas and Jered Weaver from Wednesday’s finale.
It’s good news for the Rangers, who are one game up on the Tigers as they aim for home-field advantage in the ALDS.
Santana and Weaver had both already amassed career-high innings totals this year. Santana was at 228 2/3, while Weaver was at 235 2/3 innings.
Santana finishes 11-12 with a 3.38 ERA. While he’s had seasons of 17, 16 and 16 wins in the past, this year’s ERA was the lowest of his career. 2008 still ranks as his best season as a major leaguer, but his 2011 wasn’t too far behind.
Weaver, a Cy Young contender for the first four motnhs of the season, ends the year 18-8 with a 2.41 ERA and a 1.01 WHIP. The wins, ERA and WHIP are all career bests for him, though he didn’t come close to matching his strikeout total from a year ago (198, down from 233).
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 33
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 21
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)