Sep 27, 2011, 5:33 PM EST
For now the Rays have deemed the hospital trip and testing “precautionary,” but Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times reports that Kotchman was taken out on a stretcher.
Kotchman is one of the big reasons why the Rays are in position to make the playoffs, hitting .305 with a .377 on-base percentage in 145 games after joining the team on a minor-league contract that pays him just $750,000. He has an .800 OPS after batting just .254 with a .695 OPS during the previous three seasons.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)