Sep 27, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
We’ve heard a lot of stuff from the Mets about maybe moving the fences in to make the park more “fair.” But at least one member of the San Francisco Giants feels that something should be done to AT&T Park. It’s Mark DeRosa, and here was his reaction when asked if the Giants’ home park should have some alternations:
“Without a doubt. Maybe you don’t move the fences in. But I think you saw maybe two balls go out to right-center this year. So they definitely should cut the corner. Have another wall go across. Maybe put something nice back there. I don’t know. Does San Francisco have a city tree?”
Giants brass says it’s been mentioned before, but that no one is seriously considering it. Bruce Bochy and Hensely Meulens don’t want to hear about it. Nothing is going to happen with that and DeRosa kind of comes off as a whiner.
There was a time when parks were what they were. Some were pitchers parks. Some were hitters parks. Yes, people messed around with dimensions — remember the time the Indians moved the fences way back to turn Alex Cole into the next Willie McGee? — but rarely was the gambit successful. The Yankees won the World Series eleventy billion times with an impossibly big left-center field and eleventy billion times with a more conventional fence. It’s about the players, not the park.
The Giants have a pitchers park. It’s worked out for them pretty good. They’re going to keep those dimensions much longer than they keep Mark DeRosa, that’s for sure.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)