Sep 27, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
We’ve heard a lot of stuff from the Mets about maybe moving the fences in to make the park more “fair.” But at least one member of the San Francisco Giants feels that something should be done to AT&T Park. It’s Mark DeRosa, and here was his reaction when asked if the Giants’ home park should have some alternations:
“Without a doubt. Maybe you don’t move the fences in. But I think you saw maybe two balls go out to right-center this year. So they definitely should cut the corner. Have another wall go across. Maybe put something nice back there. I don’t know. Does San Francisco have a city tree?”
Giants brass says it’s been mentioned before, but that no one is seriously considering it. Bruce Bochy and Hensely Meulens don’t want to hear about it. Nothing is going to happen with that and DeRosa kind of comes off as a whiner.
There was a time when parks were what they were. Some were pitchers parks. Some were hitters parks. Yes, people messed around with dimensions — remember the time the Indians moved the fences way back to turn Alex Cole into the next Willie McGee? — but rarely was the gambit successful. The Yankees won the World Series eleventy billion times with an impossibly big left-center field and eleventy billion times with a more conventional fence. It’s about the players, not the park.
The Giants have a pitchers park. It’s worked out for them pretty good. They’re going to keep those dimensions much longer than they keep Mark DeRosa, that’s for sure.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 14
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 69
- The Lester trade is a win-win 107
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 161
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (161)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (122)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (107)