Sep 27, 2011, 6:10 PM EST
Given what has happened with Jim Riggleman and Ozzie Guillen this year, the Mets weren’t going to let Terry Collins enter next season with his contract status in doubt. They picked up the manager’s option for 2013 on Tuesday.
While the Mets are 76-84 despite a big payroll, Collins’ first year on the job has been viewed as a success. Just keeping the team in the neighborhood of .500 through a mountain of injuries has been quite an accomplishment. Collins has kept the team focused in spite of the Francisco Rodriguez and Carlos Beltran trades and injuries to most of the team’s regulars. Incredibly enough, not one Met will end the year having playing in 130 games. Jose Reyes and Willie Harris are the team leaders, having played in 124 games.
Collins, 62, returned to managing this year after an 11-year absence. He’s 520-518 in seven years overall, having led both the Astros and the Angels for three years apiece in the 1990s.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 9
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)