Mets pick up Terry Collins’ option for 2013

Sep 27, 2011, 6:10 PM EDT

Terry Collins AP

Given what has happened with Jim Riggleman and Ozzie Guillen this year, the Mets weren’t going to let Terry Collins enter next season with his contract status in doubt. They picked up the manager’s option for 2013 on Tuesday.

While the Mets are 76-84 despite a big payroll, Collins’ first year on the job has been viewed as a success. Just keeping the team in the neighborhood of .500 through a mountain of injuries has been quite an accomplishment. Collins has kept the team focused in spite of the Francisco Rodriguez and Carlos Beltran trades and injuries to most of the team’s regulars.  Incredibly enough, not one Met will end the year having playing in 130 games.  Jose Reyes and Willie Harris are the team leaders, having played in 124 games.

Collins, 62, returned to managing this year after an 11-year absence.  He’s 520-518 in seven years overall, having led both the Astros and the Angels for three years apiece in the 1990s.

1. uuddlrlrbastart - Sep 27, 2011 at 6:26 PM

I can’t wait for him to order even more sacrifice bunts by players who clearly can’t bunt and then get frustrated at the “lack of execution.” It kind of feels like Willie Randolph all over again.

I’m starting to give up hope of Wally Backman ever managing the Mets.

• Reggie's Bush - Sep 27, 2011 at 8:08 PM

I hear you cheif…

I was at the game last night, and how awesome was it for nick evans to bunt with 0 outs and get Willie Harris out at 3rd? Can we get a FanGraphs type stat of how many pop up bunts we have this year??? I swear we’ve been doubled off f’ing up bunts at least 15 times this year

2. DonRSD - Sep 27, 2011 at 8:02 PM

We should’ve fired him and got Ozzie

3. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 27, 2011 at 8:50 PM

You guys are nuts. Did you read the part where the Mets didn’t have a single player in 130 games this year? That’s just insane. If you want to blame the GM for not putting enough talent on the team, that’s one thing. But with their injuries, and the fact that they are in probably the second best division(to the AL East), I would say Collins did an excellent job. He deserves another year of security.

• uuddlrlrbastart - Sep 27, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Oh, I don’t blame Collins for the position they’re in at all. They clearly need more talent and they absolutely need a better training/medical staff. But Terry Collins has pretty solid track record of thorough mediocrity. It’s not exactly inspiring.

4. Reggie's Bush - Sep 27, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Whoa, don’t get me wrong. I like Collins, and I love how he’s made this team competitive with scrap parts. I was just agreeing on how the Mets cannot bunt for shit.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet