News Flash: Chipper Jones is banged up

Sep 27, 2011, 9:27 AM EDT

Atlanta Braves v Washington Nationals Getty Images

Chipper Jones told Ken Rosenthal last night that his right knee was killing him and that, all things being equal, he should have taken himself out of last night’s game.  He couldn’t however, because the team’s survival is on the line:

“I probably should have come out tonight (Monday). But I can’t not play. I’ve been preaching to the boys: ‘I don’t want to hear you’re tired. I don’t want to hear how you’re hurting. All men on deck. How is it going to look if I take myself out of games?”

Can’t argue with that. And frankly, a banged-up Chipper Jones is better than any other option they have right now.  He’s going to have an MRI today, but I imagine that he plays even if they find a family of raccoons living in that knee of his.

Overall? Yeah, this is pretty dire. At the moment the Braves are depending way, way more on the Houston Astros to bear the Cardinals than they are on any weapon they have on hand themselves.  Which gives me an excuse to re-post this comment from reader Bill in this morning’s recap thread, about the starter the Braves plan on trotting out against Philly tonight:

If you want a picture of the future, imagine Derek Lowe’s cleat stomping on our dreams, forever.

Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia. Except Oceania had some people who could friggin’ hit.

1. dailyrev - Sep 27, 2011 at 9:48 AM

It was fairly obvious to anyone watching last night that he had a problem. Ironically, they’re lucky to have the Phils. Oswalt (today) and Hamels (tomorrow) are sure to be on pitch counts/innings limits, and the P’s have their own injury/rest issues to manage as they prepare for the weekend with no. 100 finally in the bag. So the Chops can lay it all out there and hope Lowe shows some leadership out there. They’ll need a game from their leadoff hitter.

And speaking of the Stros, those kids are playing for their chances to be in the lineup next April. And strange to say, the Cards are mailing it in, led by Molina, who can’t be bothered to run out a fly ball in extra innings of the biggest game of the year (what’s that say to that other guy who will soon be receiving $200M+ offers from other clubs and who stole 3b (!) last night trying to help his current team make the playoffs?). Overall, if I were a fan of the Chops (ugh), I’d be fairly confident right now…

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 27, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Mailing it in? Have you even watched any games? Do you have any idea how many games they have won to even be in this position? Mailing it in? You gotta’ be freaking joking. Yadi was 1 – 2 with 3 walks. I will break that down for you…he reaced base in 4 of 5 attempts. He had 2…10 pitch at bats. Did you fall down and hit your head or something. What a joke.

2. cranbery - Sep 27, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Chipper has always been my favorite Brave…………he is a real Team leader and plays with all his heart.

Now, Derek Lowe………….he can go!

I sometimes think as banged up as the team is physically and mentally, maybe it would be better to not embarrass ourselves in the playoffs. That way Chipper can get the help for his knee he needs, too!

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 27, 2011 at 10:47 AM

WHAT THE F@CK, MAN! WHAT BRAVES “NATION” IS THIS? How can you all sound any more depressed and lost as fans (that’s Craig too)? Phillies nation laughs at you. I laugh at you. I’ll take a first round sweep of my team over collapsing within the next 48 hours always. F@CK Chipper’s knee. F@CK those raccoons living in it. How about the team have some f@cking heart and tighten those jock straps and get the f@ck out there and win two games. How about the fans stop whining, moping and get the f@ck out there and tomahawk chop or something? BOOOOOOOOOO BOOOOOOOOO you all!!!

• jimbo1949 - Sep 27, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Bottle that!

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 27, 2011 at 10:55 AM

With feelings like that, I’s like to officially invite you to root for the Yankees as your playoff team this October! We could use a little extra enthusiasm

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 27, 2011 at 10:56 AM

“I’d” not I’s… no stupid edit button grumble grumble

• cranbery - Sep 27, 2011 at 10:58 AM

You really have a lack of compassion for your team, but also a lack of vocabulary, too!

• Bill - Sep 27, 2011 at 11:05 AM

I admire your enthusiasm and I share your rooting interest, but the tomahawk chop is terrible.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 27, 2011 at 11:07 AM

If it is Phillies vs Yanks in the WS, you’ll have one more in your fanbase, Evil Empire.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 27, 2011 at 11:08 AM

The tomahawk chop is stupid. But you know what’s REALLY stupid? Giving up on your team with a one game WC lead after 160 games….that’s idiotic.

• Bill - Sep 27, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Realistic pessimism and justified disappointment are not the same as “giving up” on the team. We’ve gone 0-fer-September. If you aren’t a little put off, dejected, or shaken at this point, you’ve drunk too much of the kool-aid.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 27, 2011 at 11:31 AM

I respectfully, and vehemently, disagree.

• Jonny 5 - Sep 27, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Bravo, you really missed your calling. As a Phillies Phan. ;)

3. daspurtitan - Sep 27, 2011 at 10:44 AM

dont get me wrong, derek lowe has been horrible this year. but he has been a clutch performer in his past. maybe there hasnt been enough pressure on him? fingers crossed.

4. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 27, 2011 at 10:54 AM

I don’t know Craig. How could you go with 1984 with Brave(s) New World staring you in the face? And this team is playing like Soma is not on the banned substance list…

5. Jonny 5 - Sep 27, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Chipper still smacks the ball around, Gimpy knee or not. He’s a scrappy gamer with grit, for sure. It’s kind of a shame his knees aren’t.

• cur68 - Sep 27, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Yeah, his knee is mailing it in.

Poor Larry. He really wants to do the right thing and lead his team. And there he is, 2 bags of ice strapped to the disloyal joint, looking grim, the season on the line. Reminds me of someone. Some bald guy, now heading for the post season, as a manager…I wonder if Vin Scully’s going to call this one, too?

Larry and his knee are setting the stage for another chapter in the saga of either “Most Epic Collapse by a Franchise Not Called The Boston Red Sox” or “A Shot Heard Round the World; New Millennium”. Alert Vin Scully; this will be interesting.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 27, 2011 at 12:29 PM

If you had a family of raccoons near your ACL, you’d be hobbling too! Hopefully Oswalt does a tractor pull this morning so his back gets stiff tonight….

Three legends off to Cooperstown