Sep 27, 2011, 9:27 AM EDT
Chipper Jones told Ken Rosenthal last night that his right knee was killing him and that, all things being equal, he should have taken himself out of last night’s game. He couldn’t however, because the team’s survival is on the line:
“I probably should have come out tonight (Monday). But I can’t not play. I’ve been preaching to the boys: ‘I don’t want to hear you’re tired. I don’t want to hear how you’re hurting. All men on deck. How is it going to look if I take myself out of games?”
Can’t argue with that. And frankly, a banged-up Chipper Jones is better than any other option they have right now. He’s going to have an MRI today, but I imagine that he plays even if they find a family of raccoons living in that knee of his.
Overall? Yeah, this is pretty dire. At the moment the Braves are depending way, way more on the Houston Astros to bear the Cardinals than they are on any weapon they have on hand themselves. Which gives me an excuse to re-post this comment from reader Bill in this morning’s recap thread, about the starter the Braves plan on trotting out against Philly tonight:
If you want a picture of the future, imagine Derek Lowe’s cleat stomping on our dreams, forever.
Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia. Except Oceania had some people who could friggin’ hit.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 240
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (240)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)