Sep 27, 2011, 9:27 AM EDT
Chipper Jones told Ken Rosenthal last night that his right knee was killing him and that, all things being equal, he should have taken himself out of last night’s game. He couldn’t however, because the team’s survival is on the line:
“I probably should have come out tonight (Monday). But I can’t not play. I’ve been preaching to the boys: ‘I don’t want to hear you’re tired. I don’t want to hear how you’re hurting. All men on deck. How is it going to look if I take myself out of games?”
Can’t argue with that. And frankly, a banged-up Chipper Jones is better than any other option they have right now. He’s going to have an MRI today, but I imagine that he plays even if they find a family of raccoons living in that knee of his.
Overall? Yeah, this is pretty dire. At the moment the Braves are depending way, way more on the Houston Astros to bear the Cardinals than they are on any weapon they have on hand themselves. Which gives me an excuse to re-post this comment from reader Bill in this morning’s recap thread, about the starter the Braves plan on trotting out against Philly tonight:
If you want a picture of the future, imagine Derek Lowe’s cleat stomping on our dreams, forever.
Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia. Except Oceania had some people who could friggin’ hit.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 3
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 1
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)