Sep 27, 2011, 9:27 AM EST
Chipper Jones told Ken Rosenthal last night that his right knee was killing him and that, all things being equal, he should have taken himself out of last night’s game. He couldn’t however, because the team’s survival is on the line:
“I probably should have come out tonight (Monday). But I can’t not play. I’ve been preaching to the boys: ‘I don’t want to hear you’re tired. I don’t want to hear how you’re hurting. All men on deck. How is it going to look if I take myself out of games?”
Can’t argue with that. And frankly, a banged-up Chipper Jones is better than any other option they have right now. He’s going to have an MRI today, but I imagine that he plays even if they find a family of raccoons living in that knee of his.
Overall? Yeah, this is pretty dire. At the moment the Braves are depending way, way more on the Houston Astros to bear the Cardinals than they are on any weapon they have on hand themselves. Which gives me an excuse to re-post this comment from reader Bill in this morning’s recap thread, about the starter the Braves plan on trotting out against Philly tonight:
If you want a picture of the future, imagine Derek Lowe’s cleat stomping on our dreams, forever.
Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia. Except Oceania had some people who could friggin’ hit.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 77
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 34
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)