Sep 27, 2011, 9:27 AM EDT
Chipper Jones told Ken Rosenthal last night that his right knee was killing him and that, all things being equal, he should have taken himself out of last night’s game. He couldn’t however, because the team’s survival is on the line:
“I probably should have come out tonight (Monday). But I can’t not play. I’ve been preaching to the boys: ‘I don’t want to hear you’re tired. I don’t want to hear how you’re hurting. All men on deck. How is it going to look if I take myself out of games?”
Can’t argue with that. And frankly, a banged-up Chipper Jones is better than any other option they have right now. He’s going to have an MRI today, but I imagine that he plays even if they find a family of raccoons living in that knee of his.
Overall? Yeah, this is pretty dire. At the moment the Braves are depending way, way more on the Houston Astros to bear the Cardinals than they are on any weapon they have on hand themselves. Which gives me an excuse to re-post this comment from reader Bill in this morning’s recap thread, about the starter the Braves plan on trotting out against Philly tonight:
If you want a picture of the future, imagine Derek Lowe’s cleat stomping on our dreams, forever.
Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia. Except Oceania had some people who could friggin’ hit.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 54
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)