Sep 27, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
It’s no secret that the Cubs will do whatever they can to get rid of Carlos Zambrano this offseason and now that Ozzie Guillen is headed to the Marlins there’s speculation that Zambrano could join him in Florida.
Guillen has always been very public in his support of Zambrano over the years and the two Venezuelans are off-field friends, going to dinner together in Chicago after the game that led the Cubs to suspend Zambrano following a dugout scuffle with teammate Derrek Lee last season.
Zambrano has one season and $18 million remaining on his contract and Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago speculates that Guillen will push the Marlins to add him to the rotation, presumably while asking the Cubs to eat a huge portion of that money and take a low-level prospect (or maybe even nothing) in return.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 10
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 43
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 60
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 54
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (101)