Sep 27, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
It’s no secret that the Cubs will do whatever they can to get rid of Carlos Zambrano this offseason and now that Ozzie Guillen is headed to the Marlins there’s speculation that Zambrano could join him in Florida.
Guillen has always been very public in his support of Zambrano over the years and the two Venezuelans are off-field friends, going to dinner together in Chicago after the game that led the Cubs to suspend Zambrano following a dugout scuffle with teammate Derrek Lee last season.
Zambrano has one season and $18 million remaining on his contract and Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago speculates that Guillen will push the Marlins to add him to the rotation, presumably while asking the Cubs to eat a huge portion of that money and take a low-level prospect (or maybe even nothing) in return.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)