Sep 27, 2011, 1:23 AM EDT
Losing for the fourth time in five games, the Angels were officially eliminated from postseason contention on Monday night, as the Rangers beat them 4-3.
The Angels did try to come back from 3-0 down. The Rangers, getting ready for Friday’s ALDS Game 1, pulled starter C.J. Wilson after two innings and turned to Mark Hamburger. Hamburger kept the Halos scoreless until the sixth, when Mike Trout singled in a run and Bobby Abreu walked with the bases loaded.
That made it 3-2 Rangers. The Rangers added an insurance run when Michael Young singled in Elvis Andrus in the eighth, and it proved crucial, as the Angels could come back with only one run off Neftali Feliz in the ninth.
Dan Haren, who left his last start with a left wrist contusion suffered when he was hit by a liner, went eight innings for the Angels. He struck out eight, and one of the four runs he gave up was unearned, the result of a Jeff Mathis error.
With the victory, the Rangers stayed one game up on the Tigers for home-field advantage in the first round of the postseason. It obviously wasn’t too important to Texas — note Wilson’s early exit — but it’d seem terribly advantageous to miss the Yankees in the ALDS. The winner of the wild card, whether it’s the Red Sox or Rays, is likely to be poorly set up for the postseason opener, especially if the two teams have to take part in a one-game playoff Thursday.
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 7
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 9
- Jose Abreu is third-fastest in MLB history to reach 30 career home runs 5
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 15
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)