Sep 27, 2011, 1:23 AM EDT
Losing for the fourth time in five games, the Angels were officially eliminated from postseason contention on Monday night, as the Rangers beat them 4-3.
The Angels did try to come back from 3-0 down. The Rangers, getting ready for Friday’s ALDS Game 1, pulled starter C.J. Wilson after two innings and turned to Mark Hamburger. Hamburger kept the Halos scoreless until the sixth, when Mike Trout singled in a run and Bobby Abreu walked with the bases loaded.
That made it 3-2 Rangers. The Rangers added an insurance run when Michael Young singled in Elvis Andrus in the eighth, and it proved crucial, as the Angels could come back with only one run off Neftali Feliz in the ninth.
Dan Haren, who left his last start with a left wrist contusion suffered when he was hit by a liner, went eight innings for the Angels. He struck out eight, and one of the four runs he gave up was unearned, the result of a Jeff Mathis error.
With the victory, the Rangers stayed one game up on the Tigers for home-field advantage in the first round of the postseason. It obviously wasn’t too important to Texas — note Wilson’s early exit — but it’d seem terribly advantageous to miss the Yankees in the ALDS. The winner of the wild card, whether it’s the Red Sox or Rays, is likely to be poorly set up for the postseason opener, especially if the two teams have to take part in a one-game playoff Thursday.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)