Sep 27, 2011, 9:13 PM EDT
If the Rays make the postseason, they might want to send a thank you note to Russell Martin.
The Yankees just took a 3-2 lead over the Rays in the top of the sixth inning behind an RBI double by Nick Swisher, but it could have been a lot worse. They had the bases juiced with nobody out, but Jeremy Hellickson was able to get Russell Martin to ground into a triple play to end the threat.
Evan Longoria stepped on third base after fielding the ground ball hit by Martin, then whipped it to Ben Zobrist at second, who made the throw to Sean Rodriguez to complete the triple play. Pretty good timing for the third triple play in franchise history and their first since 2006.
Here’s the video link, courtesy of MLB.com.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 2
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 44
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 86
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)