Sep 27, 2011, 9:13 PM EDT
If the Rays make the postseason, they might want to send a thank you note to Russell Martin.
The Yankees just took a 3-2 lead over the Rays in the top of the sixth inning behind an RBI double by Nick Swisher, but it could have been a lot worse. They had the bases juiced with nobody out, but Jeremy Hellickson was able to get Russell Martin to ground into a triple play to end the threat.
Evan Longoria stepped on third base after fielding the ground ball hit by Martin, then whipped it to Ben Zobrist at second, who made the throw to Sean Rodriguez to complete the triple play. Pretty good timing for the third triple play in franchise history and their first since 2006.
Here’s the video link, courtesy of MLB.com.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 15
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 9
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 78
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 89
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)