Sep 27, 2011, 9:13 PM EDT
If the Rays make the postseason, they might want to send a thank you note to Russell Martin.
The Yankees just took a 3-2 lead over the Rays in the top of the sixth inning behind an RBI double by Nick Swisher, but it could have been a lot worse. They had the bases juiced with nobody out, but Jeremy Hellickson was able to get Russell Martin to ground into a triple play to end the threat.
Evan Longoria stepped on third base after fielding the ground ball hit by Martin, then whipped it to Ben Zobrist at second, who made the throw to Sean Rodriguez to complete the triple play. Pretty good timing for the third triple play in franchise history and their first since 2006.
Here’s the video link, courtesy of MLB.com.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)