Sep 27, 2011, 9:13 PM EDT
If the Rays make the postseason, they might want to send a thank you note to Russell Martin.
The Yankees just took a 3-2 lead over the Rays in the top of the sixth inning behind an RBI double by Nick Swisher, but it could have been a lot worse. They had the bases juiced with nobody out, but Jeremy Hellickson was able to get Russell Martin to ground into a triple play to end the threat.
Evan Longoria stepped on third base after fielding the ground ball hit by Martin, then whipped it to Ben Zobrist at second, who made the throw to Sean Rodriguez to complete the triple play. Pretty good timing for the third triple play in franchise history and their first since 2006.
Here’s the video link, courtesy of MLB.com.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)