Sep 27, 2011, 9:13 PM EDT
If the Rays make the postseason, they might want to send a thank you note to Russell Martin.
The Yankees just took a 3-2 lead over the Rays in the top of the sixth inning behind an RBI double by Nick Swisher, but it could have been a lot worse. They had the bases juiced with nobody out, but Jeremy Hellickson was able to get Russell Martin to ground into a triple play to end the threat.
Evan Longoria stepped on third base after fielding the ground ball hit by Martin, then whipped it to Ben Zobrist at second, who made the throw to Sean Rodriguez to complete the triple play. Pretty good timing for the third triple play in franchise history and their first since 2006.
Here’s the video link, courtesy of MLB.com.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 50
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 44
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)