Sep 27, 2011, 3:00 PM EST
Fun with statistics with Corey Seidman of CSNPhilly:
Of the 20 teams to win 100 games since 1995, only two have won the World Series: the 2009 Yankees (103-59, beat the Phillies in six games) and the 1998 Yankees (114-48, swept the Padres).
So, yeah, you probably should have let yourself get swept by the Braves and entered the playoffs as a lean and mean 99-win team, not some bloated and doomed-to-failure 100-win fancy-pants.
But hey, your funeral.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)