Sep 27, 2011, 8:51 AM EDT
Ken Williams, noting that they’ve had “warnings” that Ozzie Guillen would not be back in 2012, said last night that he already has a narrowed-down list of candidates to replace Guillen as White Sox manager. According to Doug Padilla of ESPN Chicago, Buddy Bell is at the top of that short list.
It’s hard to say how much juice there is to Bell’s candidacy — I’m sure a lot of names will spin out in the coming days and weeks — but Bell is currently in a the Sox’ front office, so it makes sense that his name comes up. If there is any traction to the idea of Bell taking over, you can probably imagine that the Sox are going to do their best to blow up the current roster and rebuild, because that’s pretty much Bell’s niche in the world as a manager.
Indeed, he has had three previous stints as a manager. In at least two of those cases — Detroit and Kansas City — he was part of a full-fledged rebuilding effort. He led both of those teams to a .399 winning percentage. He had more to work with in Colorado and finished at .465.
We’re less than 12 hours from the announcement of Ozzie Guillen’s departure so, sure, take what you hear about his replacement with a grain of salt. But to the extent we hear more names like Bell’s, the greater suggestion it is that Kenny Williams is going to tear it all down and start from scratch.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 59
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)