Sep 28, 2011, 8:32 PM EDT
Jon Jay singled through the left side of the infield, Allen Craig did the same, then Albert Pujols rocketed a ball off Minute Maid Park’s Crawford Boxes to tally the game’s first score. Lance Berkman followed with a run-scoring single and David Frese smashed an RBI double to left-center as the first five St. Louis hitters reached base.
The Cardinals sent 10 hitters to the plate and racked up five runs on seven hits. Carpenter responded by shutting down the Astros’ lineup in order in the bottom half of the frame. This has the look of a blowout.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 17
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)