Sep 28, 2011, 9:51 PM EDT
And it’s not just about the awoken offense.
Cardinals ace Chris Carpenter has surrendered just two hits over six scoreless innings. He has eight strikeouts and has issued just one walk while throwing 56 of his 81 pitches for strikes.
The veteran right-hander has induced seven groundball outs and three via the sky. An ace-like performance, even against the Astros’ light-hitting lineup.
Houston has already turned things over to the bullpen.
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 2
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 40
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 29
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 61
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 114
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)