Sep 28, 2011, 10:05 PM EDT
Kimbrel remained in afterwards, but he was pulled after another walk, this one to Hunter Pence, loaded the bases. Kris Medlen, making just his second appearance back from Tommy John surgery, got Michael Martinez to pop-up to end the top of the ninth. Martinez previously entered the game as a pinch-runner for Ryan Howard.
The Braves will send up Brian McCann, Jason Heyward and maybe Jack Wilson in the bottom of the ninth. With the Cardinals up seven, the Braves will almost certainly have to win tonight in order to force a playoff.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (99)