Sep 28, 2011, 7:57 PM EDT
Teixeira’s slam off David Price came on a 97-mph fastball. But while Price has his velocity, he hasn’t been sharp in throwing 59 pitches in two innings.
Fortunately for the Rays, this one is far from over. Dellin Betances walked two in the first inning, and the Yankees had Aaron Laffey up in the pen before their young right-hander settled down. There could be plenty of run-scoring tonight.
The Red Sox are currently up 1-0 on the Orioles in the third. If the Red Sox and Rays have differing results tonight, there will be no one-game playoff on Thursday.
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 1
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 56
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 24
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 54
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 42
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 159
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (160)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)