Sep 28, 2011, 2:47 PM EDT
Royals first-round pick Bubba Starling and two other unidentified minor leaguers were stopped at a random alcohol check and cited for underage drinking in Arizona last week, according to Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star.
Dutton reports that none of the three players tested over the legal limit, but Starling is just 19 years old. He was the fifth overall pick in June’s draft and bypassed attending the University of Nebraska to sign for $7.5 million.
Royals assistant general manager for scouting and player development J.J. Picollo told Dutton that no further discipline is expected.
Here’s more from Picollo:
Our players put themselves in a bad spot. They made a poor decision in having a beer under age. It’s something most teenagers deal with, but we’re disappointed that they put themselves in this position. We’ll deal with it internally, but they did show some sense of responsibility in having someone who wasn’t drinking do the driving. We try to educate our kids from the time they sign until they get to the big leagues in what it means to be a professional athlete and how to represent the organization.
There were a total of five people in the car, but as Picollo notes the driver wasn’t drinking at all and one passenger was of legal drinking age.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)