Sep 28, 2011, 12:48 PM EDT
In the wake of Ozzie Guillen’s departure the White Sox signed pitching coach Don Cooper and first base coach Harold Baines to multi-year contract extensions, but hitting coach Greg Walker announced that he’ll step down following tonight’s game.
Walker has come under plenty of fire this year with the White Sox ranking 11th among AL teams in scoring while Adam Dunn and Alex Rios have historically inept seasons, and he reportedly had a “heated exchange” with general manager Ken Williams three weeks ago.
At the time Guillen gave Walker a vote of confidence–they’ve worked together since 2004–which of course means nothing now unless he plans to bring Walker with him to the Marlins.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 0
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 26
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 45
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)