Sep 28, 2011, 12:48 PM EST
In the wake of Ozzie Guillen’s departure the White Sox signed pitching coach Don Cooper and first base coach Harold Baines to multi-year contract extensions, but hitting coach Greg Walker announced that he’ll step down following tonight’s game.
Walker has come under plenty of fire this year with the White Sox ranking 11th among AL teams in scoring while Adam Dunn and Alex Rios have historically inept seasons, and he reportedly had a “heated exchange” with general manager Ken Williams three weeks ago.
At the time Guillen gave Walker a vote of confidence–they’ve worked together since 2004–which of course means nothing now unless he plans to bring Walker with him to the Marlins.
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 9
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 64
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 81
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 61
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)