It was Jose Reyes’ decision to take himself out

Sep 28, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT

Cincinnati Reds v New York Mets Getty Images

There was a lot of chatter during the Mets-Reds game wondering if Jose Reyes‘ early, batting title-preserving exit from the game was Jose Reyes taking himself out or if it was a team thing. Or some mixture of the two, perhaps with Terry Collins doing Reyes a solid or something like that.

Seems it was the former: Terry Collins said right after the game was over that it was Reyes’ decision to take himself out and that he felt the need to honor Reyes’ wishes.  I didn’t hear his exact words, but here’s how Adam Rubin of ESPN New York tweeted it:

Terry Collins said he earned players’ respect this year and didn’t want to disregard Jose’s wishes and lose any respect in clubhouse.

Odd way to put it, but Twitter isn’t the best medium for conveying nuance.  I think I grok the meaning, though: what possible point is there in fighting Reyes on the matter in the middle of game 162?

Either way, it sorta has me rooting for Ryan Braun to get a lot of hits tonight.

1. drmonkeyarmy - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:04 PM

I don’t have a problem with Reyes taking himself out.

• jimbo1949 - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Dinner and a movie, no problem.

• florida727 - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:11 PM

I don’t either. I fully support his right to be a chickensh*t coward that has lost all respect as a professional athlete in a team sport by selfishly putting his personal accomplishment ahead of his team’s.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Exactly. That is pretty much what I was trying to convey in the other thread. A chincy…chicken shit approach. Errr…lack of approach I should say.

• cur68 - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Nope. Me either. He’s got nothing left to play for on that team; simply been their best player for ages, got nothing but grief and not even a decent send off for getting himself into a position to even be able to influence who gets the batting title. The ball’s in Bruan’s court. Good luck to Bruan, anyways. I frankly think that any move Reyes makes sees him getting booed. For whatever reason the Met’s fans want to blame the failure of that team on their best player. He can’t do anything right, even when he’s winning them the batting title.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:40 PM

I am with you here Cur. I have no idea why they give him so much grief (in general). The whole pulling himself from the game after one AB thing…let’s just say our opinions differ. But that’s okay too!

• cur68 - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:47 PM

He’s looked a bit hurt ever since back off the DL. I think that had something to do with it.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:53 PM

I think the fans want to watch him play. That is the one thing he has not been able to consistently do for them. It was bad enough with all of the injuries, but pulling himself out of a game, when frankly, there is little else of interest for them in this game, is pretty lame. He is paid to perform if he is healthy enough to do so. In this case he failed.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:14 PM

I thought I would…but I found myself strangely apathetic not really giving a shit about the actions of Jose Reyes and the effect they may have on Ryan Braun. Just don’t care.

• funkinmet - Sep 30, 2011 at 11:40 PM

Agreed. The writers that are lambasting this move never played the game, and since it is a game, strategy is a big part of being successful. They should let this go and start looking at possible low-budget, high-reward moves the Mets can make as soon as the off-season begins for everyone.

2. xmatt0926x - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:11 PM

I have a problem wit it. What a fraud he is. It’s a moment in time like that which can really define the character of someone and Jose just told us all what kind of competitor he is and he showed his true lack of character. I’m glad the Mets fans booed his sorry ass. I may be a Phillies fan but today, we are all Mets fans!!

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:18 PM

I think trying to define ones character based upon an incident like this is overly dramatic. Actually trying to defines ones character by how they play the game of baseball is also kind of ridiculous. They are plenty of guys who “played the right way” who went home beat their wives and were otherwise scum bags.

• cur68 - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:44 PM

See, this is why I trust your opinion, ‘army; you put up with Dykstra. You have perspective. Everybody cheered that guy when he played “the right way”. They still cheering?

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 28, 2011 at 5:14 PM

I’m… mildly disappointed. If anything I hoped Reyes would crave the challenge and try to get as many hits as possible the entire game.

3. kingkillerstudios - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:17 PM

He’s still hurt. He looked kind of twingey in the field to me, and he hasn’t been looking right on the basepaths since coming off the DL. I’m usually the last person to defend the guy, but this is one of those non-stories that’s getting whooped up into a BFD because the Met press won’t have anything else to talk about for six months.

• professor59 - Sep 28, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Players who are hurt won’t try and leg out an infield hit. I think that’s enough evidence of his weasel move right there.

• kingkillerstudios - Sep 28, 2011 at 6:00 PM

They will if they know they can go sit down afterwards.

4. Phillies Homer - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:17 PM

What a loser

5. mercyflush - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:17 PM

i dont care that he did that. He’s about to hit the FA market. Having a batting title on his resume should help him out in that regard.

If Ted Williams was about to become a FA with 100+ million dollars on the line, I’m guessing there’s a great shot that he would have done the same thing.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:33 PM

see my comment on Williams below. this argument is absurd and to root for Braun b/c of this is absurd. people need to do some homework.

6. rcali - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Pretty much sums up the teams success.

7. goforthanddie - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Neither the player nor the manager gave a rat about winning the game? A manager coaching for “respect”? Get rid of both of them.

8. Lukehart80 - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Braun sat the other night, no one eviscerated him for it.

As the headline for the earlier Reyes post said, he’s “no Ted WIlliams.” I don’t think that was news to anyone.

This is just an excuse for people who already didn’t like Reyes to pile on. Get over it, folks.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:41 PM

“Fans chanced (sic) ‘Please stay Jose!’ throughout the ninth inning, and he gave a salute to fans as he was walking off the field afterward. Chants of “Jose Reyes!” continued after he threw his hat into the stands and left the field.” (from CBS NY)

Even the story of boos is only telling part of the story. Clearly there is still love at Citi Field. It’s good to see not all Mets fans are that dumb to boo one of the top 3 best players they’ve ever had don their uniform on his final day.

9. The Baseball Idiot - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:22 PM

No, it was Collins’ decision. He’s the manager. He says yes or no. Not the players.

Or are the players running the team?

10. Jonny 5 - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:26 PM

I don’t have a problem with it really, and don’t really care. But it does give me a reason to root for Braun to go 4 for 4 though.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:42 PM

I’ll be rooting for Braun….against the PHILLIES!

11. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:30 PM

I’m re-posting this from the other thread given that this one was put up….

Okay, I went to the gym and got super tough during lunch…I kid….but I did and they have ESPN. The Reyes thing is the talk of Sportscenter. Guess what? The very headline to this post is misleading. Ted Williams himself said, and I’m paraphrasing, that if he thought .400 was a big deal (he didn’t) and if he knew it would probably never be topped again (it hasn’t so far) he would have reconsidered playing that final day to preserve his average. Thus, even Ted Williams finds no fault in Reyes’ (I’m sorry Collins’ AND Reyes’) decision. Further, Collins has been around long enough and has acknowledged this type of stuff happens routinely, but given the circumstances (impending free agent) the fans go ballistic. There other circumstances as to why Reyes should or would not have played this game,, or the at least the entire game anyway (see other comments above). Reyes deserves the benefit of the doubt doesn’t he? Instead he gets this biased post and haters hating.

Here’s my final opinion on this matter: the Mets fans who booed are idiots. You don’t deserve Reyes.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Good argument Jason. We may not agree…but good argument nonetheless.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:47 PM

I’m changing my name if Heyward doesn’t help get a W today. Even if it is a W, but he goes 0 fer X. Let it be known throughout the internets! Let it be known throughout the world! HEYWARD! YOU. ARE. ON. NOTICE!

• dirtycrumbs - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:52 PM

I don’t think the booing fans are idiots.

All day leading up to the game the narrative was: “this could be Jose Reyes last day as a Met!” The only reason to go out to see the Mets today was the opportunity to potentially see Jose for the last time in a Mets uniform. It was to be an emotional game.

I’m sorry, but Reyes’ decision to leave the game after the first inning is weak. Mets fans are well within their right to boo when they paid for a product, and that product can’t bother to stick around for the second inning.

As a Mets fan, this has left a real bad taste in my mouth and I hope Ryan Braun goes and rips off a 4-4 tonight.

12. frenchysplatediscipline - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:41 PM

I hope the Yankees sign him. Or better yet the Phillies.

13. Reggie's Bush - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Lukehart, I said the same about Braun sitting 2 games ago but he caught no flak… Still waiting on a ‘chickenshit’ response on Braun…

Braun had the whole season and tonights game to overtake Reyes, I’m sure the extra 2-3 at bats Reyes would have had really skewed the stats (rolls eyes)

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:48 PM

I already called Braun a cocky prick, but I’ll call him a chickenshit too if it makes you happy. Man, that Braun guy is such a chickenshit. Ah, that does feel good.

14. phillyphever - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Yeah, there goes a couple million from his next contract. If our SS wasn’t a FA (and saying he wants 5 years), the Reyes-Phillies rumors wouldn’t happen. Alas, I’m gonna have to spend winter hearing those rumors.

15. franklapidus316 - Sep 28, 2011 at 4:58 PM

I Braun goes 3-4, there’s about a 100% chance they take him out before he bats again. Braun also was sitting until Reyes moved a bit ahead of him.

They’re both gaming as best they can to win the title, I truly can’t imagine why anyone cares.If you hate the Mets and/or Reyes, congrats, you now have more overhyped fodder.

16. therealbuckfoston - Sep 28, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Reyes will not WIN the batting title, but may be given the trophy/plaque/chopstick or whatever the hell they give to the ballplayer w/the highest BA. When all is said & done, I guaren-f’ing-tee the story tonight & forevermore will be Reyes backing into it, pussy-like, & overwhelming sentiment won’t be “jeez, what a great season/player” but what a f’in dog. Pathetic, horrible, typical WilponMutts move. Pulled himself? in the first? after a bunt? Anyone cheering for this weak-ass stunt should be ashamed. Cements Mutts as the losing-est losers of all-time losers in the history of losing. Life Long Met fan/puking in my mouth a little bit a lot about over this joke. Rooting for Braun to go 5 for 5 tonight to shove up Reyes’ & Wilpon’s tuchas. Teddy Ballgame must be bobbing over in his cryo-tank somewhere…

17. btwicey - Sep 28, 2011 at 5:17 PM

That’s low.

18. dasher521 - Sep 28, 2011 at 5:34 PM

I’m fine with Reyes bunting, that’s his game. Pulling himself out – he’s a dog and a quitter. I hope that hangs around his neck the rest of his career. That’s not the path a great player would take. His soon to be ex-teammates, dogs as well, cheering and laughing when he goes back in the dugout. That’s why they are the Mutts.

19. protectthishouse54 - Sep 28, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Most fans (myself included) have very fond memories of our days on the ball field, playing as kids or teenagers or young men… waiting desperately for your next game. It’s hard for us to put ourselves in the position of major leaguers who play 162 games a year and get paid a ton of money to do it. The point is that some players still enjoy the game as much as they did when they were a kid. Stats are fun, but they play to play. For the love of the game. Coming out of a game for any reason other than injury just shows us that he doesn’t love the game as much as the people who watch it. To many people (myself included again) that just stings a little bit. It is what it is, but it just irks me.

20. professor59 - Sep 28, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Doesn’t anyone remember the George Brett – Hal McRae season-ender? Talk about manipulating the batting title…
    The Reyes method happens every so often, but the 1976 season will be forever tainted. Look it up.

• royalsfaninfargo - Sep 28, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Brett redeemed himself in 1980 however. He could have sat on .400, but he chose to play. Alas, he didnt get it, but he made up for 1976.

• The Baseball Idiot - Sep 28, 2011 at 6:03 PM

I was at that game. That was the defense allowing a hit to ensure one batter won the title over another. This was Reyes pulling out of the game to guarantee the title.

Not really sure how one situation applies to the other.

21. Gobias Industries - Sep 28, 2011 at 7:28 PM

Well clearly Reyes just wanted to make the batting race relevant again and get people talking. When was the last time anybody took an interest in the batting crown? Well played, Jose.

And as for you Craigers, now you sorta have me rooting for the Phillies and Cardinals to get a lot of runs tonight.

22. eagles512 - Sep 28, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Disgraceful

23. mdpickles - Sep 28, 2011 at 7:56 PM

I can’t wait to see what team throw millions at him to sit on the DL…SF Giants anyone? Reyes is talented, but it’s full potential will never be realized because of injuries and arrogance.

24. shaggytoodle - Sep 29, 2011 at 2:43 AM

Even Lebron James is screaming about this crab dribble.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2895)