Sep 28, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
He’ll miss tonight’s must-win game against the Astros and manager Tony La Russa hinted that it could be a serious setback, saying: “It’s not good news.”
Holliday missed nine games earlier this month with an inflamed tendon in his hand and complained of soreness yesterday before trying unsuccessfully to play through the pain, lasting just a couple innings.
The good news for the Cardinals is that Holliday’s backup, Allen Craig, has been on fire recently and went 2-for-3 with a homer and four RBIs after replacing him in the third inning.
- Mariners sign Corey Hart 18
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 32
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 20
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 65
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)