Sep 28, 2011, 9:03 PM EDT
The Orioles wasted a leadoff double from Mark Reynolds in the bottom of the fifth, as Red Sox shortstop Marco Scutaro was able to throw out the tying run at the plate on a Nolan Reimold grounder and help keep Boston on top of the Orioles 3-2 on Wednesday night.
Reynolds advanced to third on a Chris Davis grounder and then went on contact as Nolan Reimold grounded to short. Scutaro’s throw home was a bit off, but Ryan Lavarnway made a nice diving tag to get Reyolds for the second out of the inning. Robert Andino then grounded out to end it.
With the Yankees now up on the Rays 7-0 after an Andruw Jones homer, the Red Sox may well stay out of a Game 163 playoff if they can hold on to their lead for four more innings.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 67
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 58
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 51
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11