Sep 28, 2011, 9:03 PM EDT
The Orioles wasted a leadoff double from Mark Reynolds in the bottom of the fifth, as Red Sox shortstop Marco Scutaro was able to throw out the tying run at the plate on a Nolan Reimold grounder and help keep Boston on top of the Orioles 3-2 on Wednesday night.
Reynolds advanced to third on a Chris Davis grounder and then went on contact as Nolan Reimold grounded to short. Scutaro’s throw home was a bit off, but Ryan Lavarnway made a nice diving tag to get Reyolds for the second out of the inning. Robert Andino then grounded out to end it.
With the Yankees now up on the Rays 7-0 after an Andruw Jones homer, the Red Sox may well stay out of a Game 163 playoff if they can hold on to their lead for four more innings.
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 51
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 10
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 35
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade (78)