Sep 28, 2011, 9:03 PM EST
The Orioles wasted a leadoff double from Mark Reynolds in the bottom of the fifth, as Red Sox shortstop Marco Scutaro was able to throw out the tying run at the plate on a Nolan Reimold grounder and help keep Boston on top of the Orioles 3-2 on Wednesday night.
Reynolds advanced to third on a Chris Davis grounder and then went on contact as Nolan Reimold grounded to short. Scutaro’s throw home was a bit off, but Ryan Lavarnway made a nice diving tag to get Reyolds for the second out of the inning. Robert Andino then grounded out to end it.
With the Yankees now up on the Rays 7-0 after an Andruw Jones homer, the Red Sox may well stay out of a Game 163 playoff if they can hold on to their lead for four more innings.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 66
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 121
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 80
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)